Step-by-step how to rinse/clean sand filter?

Yes, I have pool lube, and I will keep it on hand -- thanks!

Quaxalot, yes, I can get the sand filter open from the top. I am a bit worried about your suggestion to open the top, break up the sand carefully with a stick -- and then turn the pump on in the backwash position (without closing the top again). Won't sandy water gush out the top like a geyser?

singerteacher said:
Yes, I have pool lube, and I will keep it on hand -- thanks!

Quaxalot, yes, I can get the sand filter open from the top. I am a bit worried about your suggestion to open the top, break up the sand carefully with a stick -- and then turn the pump on in the backwash position (without closing the top again). Won't sandy water gush out the top like a geyser?

We do this all the time. Because the opening at the top of the filter is 6 inches or so in diameter, no significant pressure builds up, and the water flows gently out of the top of the filter.

My guys generally reach right into the filter, in order to better break up clumps.

This procedure is especially beneficial if you have cotton wood trees near you.

Update: When I took off the cover, all the water drained out of the sand filter without opening the drain plug at the bottom. Not sure where it went -- back into the pool? That saved me a step, but I'm not sure if that's a bad sign or not.

I also wasn't able to remove the diffuser without breaking it, so I just put a spray attachment on my hose, pulled the diffuser very gently to the side, and sprayed the sand that way. I could hear water gurgling down the pipes that go to the pool while I was spraying.

Put it all back together, fired it up, and it works fine. Phew! Relieved I didn't break anything, but not sure I did any good. Next step is adding diatomaceous earth ...

singerteacher said:
Update: When I took off the cover, all the water drained out of the sand filter without opening the drain plug at the bottom. Not sure where it went -- back into the pool? That saved me a step, but I'm not sure if that's a bad sign or not.

I also wasn't able to remove the diffuser without breaking it, so I just put a spray attachment on my hose, pulled the diffuser very gently to the side, and sprayed the sand that way. I could hear water gurgling down the pipes that go to the pool while I was spraying.

Put it all back together, fired it up, and it works fine. Phew! Relieved I didn't break anything, but not sure I did any good. Next step is adding diatomaceous earth ...

The water just drained back into the pool, no harm, no foul.

Did you turn the multi-port valve to backwash, and turn on the pump? When you used your hose, did you shove it down into the sand?

The whole purpose of this exercize is to break up sand clumps and get rid of crud not removed by a conventional backwash.

I did not turn the multi-port to backwash, fearing the big geyser. (When I open the air relief cap while filtering, the small amount of water that escapes sprays quite a distance!) But, I did shoot water at a very high velocity into the sand. I could see into the sand filter, and I was breaking up the sand. However, because the water was draining back into the pool, dirty water never came up the top. So, although I was able to break up clumps and channels in the sand, I wasn't able to get any dirt out of it (to my knowledge).

Hopefully, the lack of clumps and channels will help with my overall objective -- to trap more pollen and small bits (I think they're iron flecks).

Also, my psi finally went up! It took about 20 minutes, for some reason. (Yes, I will keep an eye on it tonight.) I'm hopeful that moving the sand around and adding DE will solve my issue. If not, I'll most likely have the sand changed by a professional. I will post an update in a couple of days.

Not an update yet, but a question: What should my psi read for a Hayward S200 sand filter? It was about 16psi, then I added the DE, now it's about 21psi. To me, this is an improvement ... but from reading the other posts, this seems like it might be too low. Then again, I don't really know what "normal" is for psi -- either for my pump, or for my size of pool. (By the way, I've had to purchase a new gauge every year, because they're always broken when I start up in the spring -- and every time I get a new gauge, the "starting number" is different!)

there is no normal. Depends on your pump and plumbing. If it went up by 5 psi right when you added the DE ... Then I think you added too much.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.