addds

Jun 8, 2023
Draper, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm struggling to find a stepwise guide (that I'm sure exists here somewhere) that walks me through how to open my pool for the year.

Last year I became proficient at maintaining chemical levels and cleaning the pool, but I shied away from dealing with the equipment itself. I had the pool shut down for the winter by a local company. I can't get on their schedule to start it back up in time for our first backyard party this Saturday (May 4th).

Can you please direct me to the (many) posts that already answer this please?

Post pics of your equipment, pool, and anything else relevant if you need further help. We walk several through their first rodeo each spring.

You basically pull the cover, pull any plugs in the pool to flood the equipment, install any equipment drain plugs and fire it up.

Reactions: addds
Post pics of your equipment, pool, and anything else relevant if you need further help. We walk several through their first rodeo each spring.

You basically pull the cover, pull any plugs in the pool to flood the equipment, install any equipment drain plugs and fire it up.
For sure. Show us what you’ve got and we’ll help get you up and running in short order. Might even toss in a few tricks to make it easier. 😊

Reactions: addds and Newdude
OK. I’ll do my best to keep this sequential.

I’ve already cleaned my salt cell and reinstalled.

I’ve cleaned my cartridge filters.

I’ve skimmed the pool for large debris and pumped and cleaned off the cover.

I’ve connected my autofill hose connection.

Next steps I assume:

Remove these plugs from my skimmers (2x)

20240427_201517_Original.jpeg

I assume water will run into my main pump. Should I fill it with hose water first?

20240427_185812_Original.jpeg20240427_185821_Original.jpeg20240427_185827_Original.jpeg

My stenner pump reservoir needs to be refilled. What ratio do you recommend?

20240427_185931_Original.jpeg

A few other random pictures.

20240427_185854_Original.jpeg20240427_185723_Original.jpeg20240427_185720_Original.jpeg

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240427_185729_Original.jpeg
    20240427_185729_Original.jpeg
    381.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240427_185739_Original.jpeg
    20240427_185739_Original.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 8
Remove these plugs from my skimmers (2x)
Yes remove the gizmos from the skimmer - install the baskets and remove the plugs from your return outlets. Install the return jets. I assume you’ve already installed all the drain plugs in the pumps and filter, and sealed the pump strainer lids. You should use Magic Lube 2 to lubricate the o-rings when installing the plugs/lids.

I assume water will run into my main pump. Should I fill it with hose water first?
Depending on the equipment level relative to the pool level, you may or may not get water flowing back into the pump. You can fill it with a hose if water doesn’t run back to the pad. I use a shop vac and prime the lines by sucking water through the suction side of the pump from the pool, then close up the lid.

My stenner pump reservoir needs to be refilled. What ratio do you recommend?

Hayward recommends a 4:1 dilution of water to acid. If you dilute add water to the tank first then acid. Personally I run the acid straight but that is not recommended.

How were the probes for your controller stored over winter? Were they stored wet with the caps on them? They need to be installed just before firing up the system, you don’t want them to dry out.

Edited to add: Have you inspected and/or installed new Stenner pinch tubes?

Last edited:
Yes remove the gizmos from the skimmer - install the baskets and remove the plugs from your return outlets. Install the return jets. I assume you’ve already installed all the drain plugs in the pumps and filter, and sealed the pump strainer lids. You should use Magic Lube 2 to lubricate the o-rings when installing the plugs/lids.

Depending on the equipment level relative to the pool level, you may or may not get water flowing back into the pump. You can fill it with a hose if water doesn’t run back to the pad. I use a shop vac and prime the lines by sucking water through the suction side of the pump from the pool, then close up the lid.

Hayward recommends a 4:1 dilution of water to acid. If you dilute add water to the tank first then acid. Personally I run the acid straight but that is not recommended.

How were the probes for your controller stored over winter? Were they stored wet with the caps on them? They need to be installed just before firing up the system, you don’t want them to dry out.

Edited to add: Have you inspected and/or installed new Stenner pinch tubes?
This is all very helpful.

I believe the probes were stored dry. If they have indeed dried out, does that render them inoperable?

I’ll inspect the stenner pinch tubes. Other than the obvious signs of cracking, stretching or general state of disintegration, what else should I be looking for?

Any idea why the company that shut down the pool would have uninstalled the actuator for a manual valve during the winterization process?

And I’m assuming I should reinstall it, correct?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 5
I believe the probes were stored dry. If they have indeed dried out, does that render them inoperable?
If they were stored dry they are likely trash and you’ll need new ones. The should always be stored in the caps with distilled water at a minimum. Some manufacturers prefer a storage solution. You may check the manual for the system, the may have a rehab process listed for dried probes, but my experience is once they dry out they are finished.

I’ll inspect the stenner pinch tubes. Other than the obvious signs of cracking, stretching or general state of disintegration, what else should I be looking for?
That’s it. Quite frankly they are considered a wear item and normal practice is just to replace them a startup. You can startup and if they don’t leak use them, but I’d suggest picking up some replacements to have at the ready.

Any idea why the company that shut down the pool would have uninstalled the actuator for a manual valve during the winterization process?
Not sure why they would have pulled it. Don’t lock down the locking knob all the way, just barely snug it at most.

Reactions: addds

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here it is reinstalled. This was the orientation.
After re-looking at the picture, I’m not thrilled with the orientation. The valve is partially closed to all ports. Now that might be ok, it could be the way the automation had it set at closing. What does that valve feed? It’s tough to tell from the picture. Any details you can provide would be helpful.