Stenner Pump Selection and Placement Related

cgrooves

Aug 5, 2022
Huntsville , AL
I've been researching, and am about to purchase & install a Stenner pump with a 15 GAL storage tank for chlorine injection of my 15,000 GAL AGP.

Stenner's 3 GPD fixed speed 25psi model (45MP1) meets my needs, but I'm leaning towards setting this system up inside of my garage to keep it out of the weather extremes it would be subjected to sitting outside on my pool equipment pad. This scenario would have me running approximately 25' of hose from the pump through my home's crawl space before I punched through the foundation wall to tap into the return line at the pool equipment pad.

I'm wondering if it would be advisable to upgrade to Stenner's equivalent 100psi model (45MPHP2) in the above scenario so that I'd have a check valve at the return line tap to provide additional protection in the event that components inside the pump wear enough to allow pool water to flow backwards through this system (overfilling my storage tank and getting pool water inside of my garage).

What say the experts of TFP?

UPDATE
Based upon a discussion with Stenner technical support, the 'duck bill' check valve will not fully close until it sees 19psi of pressure. Based upon my understanding that it is highly unlikely for this amount of pressure to be reached at the injection port tap location on the return line, I'm leaning towards this check valve being totally unnecessary for my application. I'm now leaning towards buying a 10 GPD pump so that I can address my "backflow concerns" by limiting wear of the pump head by running it less time each day.

I read all your posts and agree with your assessment. Installed the check valve as a peace of mind item, but really didn't need it.
I would agree on the 10GPD fixed head pump ran on a timer. The only issue I can think of is that you'll need a timer with fine adjustments so you can fine tune the amount injected without overshooting.

Reactions: PoolStored
I've had my Stenner pump for over 5 years. It's outside and runs all year in sunny So Cal. I wouldn't put it in an enclosed area, like a garage, based on my experience. The first year I ran the pump until the meter tube failed and it pumped out chlorine. I now replace the tube at the start of each season. Around the third or fourth year the output line blew out of the pump because it was plugged with salt deposits at the injector. I now check the fittings and the feed line for deposits when I backwash and replace the line every 3 years.

Also keep my Stenner pump outside, totally in the elements. No issue with it so far (though it is my first season with it admittedly)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.