Stenner Pump Design Issues? with hose mar unevenly

Bo_Gs

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2023
Toronto, ON, CA
Hope this is the right area.

I have an automatic dosing system that turns on 2 Stenner pumps that dose Chlorine and Acid. The pool builder installed them vertically beside my Evoqua Sentinel so the motor is facing the ceiling and the hose head is facing the floor. This weekend I had a leak spit out every time the rollers would move, they came and swapped out the pump and left the old one for me to investigate. Just for reference I am using 45M5 model. I have #5 hoses. This was after just 8 months of usage.

After taking apart the pump head apart I noticed a lot of rubber particulate but also the hose was marred (photo attached) in the middle of the hose. I would of expected the hose to crack at the ends of the rollers pushing at the top or bottom. Looking at the hose I could see that the groove is quite deep and I would image every time the rollers ran it took a bit and then another bit until it ran through the entire hose.

IMG_3670.png

I started investigate the new pump and my Acid pump - and I noticed that even the brand new 2 day pump was experiencing the same thing. The hose is falling down to the bottom of the pump head which would sit 2/3 on the roller and 1/3 below it (photos attached) with it moving creating the perfect environment I experienced with the failing hose.

IMG_3668.pngIMG_3669.png

You would say it is an installation problem, so I went out and ensured yesterday that the new pump and hose would be sitting in the middle of the roller (photo attached). Did this using their youtube video to centre the hose.

IMG_3675.png

This morning went out to check again and lo and behold it slipped back down to 2/3 on the roller and 1/3 off the roller at the bottom. This will cause the hose to again wear out prematurely and will cause random leaks based on the amount of roller movement.

This seems like a design fault as most of the recommendations and examples show the Stenner in a vertical mounted position. I am debating trying to source Blue-White A1A pumps that would have a tank to attach to which would keep the hose in a vertical (movement) position instead of Stenner (horizontal) position causing the sag.

Have others seen this in their pumps? How have you dealt with this? Any experience with the Blue-White? My pool person has not been super useful as they see it as a wear kinda thing and I would agree if the leak was at the top or bottom, but not in the middle.

Thanks a bunch

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.