Jsf721

Jun 24, 2022
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been reading all I can about SWG and i came across someone who is using this product. They had gone through several SWG in 10 years and went this route and they are happy,

So can anyone who is using one tell me how they like it?

Questions:
1. How much chlorine will I go through in an average sunny month in July in NY? 38,000 gallon pool?
2. If I filled a 15 gallon tank (it shielded from sun) how bad would the chlorine degrade over a month?

Questions:
1. How much chlorine will I go through in an average sunny month in July in NY? 38,000 gallon pool?
Oooof. I have a 30K pool in N. Ohio. I can use up to 5.5ppm in July...=about 1.25 gallons a day (assuming 12.5%). No less than 3-4ppm~=.75-1 gallons per day (again 12.5%).
2. If I filled a 15 gallon tank (it shielded from sun) how bad would the chlorine degrade over a month?

I switched from a storage tank (in a garage) to SWCG. I would fill in my pool before going back to liquid chlorine. The economics (price of chlorine these days vs. SWCG cost/longevity), heavily favor SWCG for a pool of your size.

Sincerely,
PoolStored.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsf721
Oooof. I have a 30K pool in N. Ohio. I can use up to 5.5ppm in July...=about 1.25 gallons a day (assuming 12.5%). No less than 3-4ppm~=.75-1 gallons per day (again 12.5%).

I switched from a storage tank (in a garage) to SWCG. I would fill in my pool before going back to liquid chlorine. The economics (price of chlorine these days vs. SWCG cost/longevity), heavily favor SWCG for a pool of your size.

Sincerely,
PoolStored.
In the Sacramento CA area, my 30k pool uses around 40 ounces a day in the summer. So my 15 gallon tank lasts around 6 weeks at the height of summer. At the moment I'm using around half that, and in the winter I'm only using around 10 ounces per day. So really the answer is it depends. That said, unless you have outrageous electric costs the swg is probably simpler and cheaper long term. For me I'm spending around $500/year on chlorine so it would take ~3 years to pay for the swg with free electricity, and pg&e is anything but free at something like $0.35/kwh. I probably have enough solar to cover the extra for the swg, but it would be a close call call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.