Stenner Liquid Chlorinator: Reservoir Placement

RadEngr70

Gold Supporter
May 9, 2017
Central, OK
Seriously considering doing liquid chlorination using a Stenner pump controlled by my Hayward E-Command 4 controller, and using a 15-gallon food grade barrel as the chlorine reservoir (as many on this forum have done). I have room on my outdoor equipment pad for the barrel, but the pad is on the outside wall of my garage - so I could drill a hole through the outside wall, run the tubing into the garage, and keep the chlorine reservoir in the garage.

Question is... is it worth the effort? I know the liquid chlorine will last longer in the garage than outside, but do I really want 15 gallons of bleach in the garage? What about going even further and putting the Stenner pump in the garage too?

All opinions and advice are welcome...

That would all depend on the garage you are putting it into...

There are 2 factors that affect chlorine degradation... exposure to UV (Sunlight), and HEAT. If the garage you are putting it into ends up being hotter than outside during the summer, the chlorine will degrade faster than it would if put in a nice shady spot outside.

I get my chlorine 55 gallons at a time from a local chemical supply (12.5%). It comes in a nice BLACK (UV resistant) barrel. I dug a hole next to my equipment pad, and buried the 1st barrel into the ground. From there, I siphon from my refill barrels into the buried one to top up. The thinking was that the ground SHOULD protect the chlorine from the oppressive Alabama heat. I drilled a hole into the side of the barrel just under the top that is JUST big enough to squeeze the stenner tube through. This is my second year with this set-up, and it seems to be working out just fine (So far).

I can see your point, and do agree with the premise... but I guess I must have lucked out when I drilled into my barrel. I can hear a definite suction of air going into my barrel whenever I crack one of the caps loose. I guess my pump is strong enough to pull a slight vacuum inside of the barrel. My outdoor cats love to perch on top of the barrel during the day, and I can't picture them doing that if they could smell any Chlorine gas at all coming out of it. (after all a cat has a better sense of smell than we do). Given my experience so far, I wouldn't be afraid of putting it into a building, providing that I could keep the building cooler than the ambient outdoor temperature.

If I could figure out a way to keep my barrel at 50F in Alabama without it costing me a fortune, I would do it.

My 15 gallon reservoir and pump are both installed in the utility room in the basement. I don't really get any smell from it at all. My wife's nose is very sensitive and she has never complained about it. As you would expect, I get some bleach smell when I fill it each month but it's not really any worse than using bleach in a load of laundry.

If the pad doesn't get a lot of sun I'd be just as inclined to leave it outside. I don't know the real implication of chlorine fumes and smell, but I feel better with it outside - at least outside of a garage. If I had a pump house I'd put it in there, but personally I wouldn't put it in my garage, just my gut feeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.