mfifield01

May 11, 2022
Bee Cave, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I found someone selling used Stenner pumps locally. If he has the correct model, I'll probably purchase it. I'll need to buy the injector, hoses, and tank. I plan to inject chlorine. Will this kit work for the pump?

My suggestion is to skip this purchase and go straight to a SWCG. You can add a AquaPure 1400 to your system for $2000 plus some labor to install it. you will save purchasing LC that will have a constantly changing cost each time you go buy it.

See the link Jandy AquaPure Complete System with 14 Blade Cell PLC1400

Reactions: Newdude
For now, I plan to stay with liquid chlorine. I've weighed the pros/cons. My wife is against SWG. I question whether my current soft limestone could handle the increased salt levels. I know that salt is currently in the pool, but not in the quantity needed for a SWG. I realize that it could hit that level in some environments, but doubt it will here. My neighbor has a SWG and has to add salt many times a year.

Buying a used Stenner is pretty close to a wash on costs. Over 6 years, LC is definitely cheaper. I think the pay off would be in the range of 10-15 years.

LC usage (over 6 years) is roughly $2100 (LC) + $300 (Stenner setup) = $2400
AquaPure is roughly $2000 (if self installed) + $1000 (new cell at 3-4 years) = $3000

My wife is against SWG. I question whether my current soft limestone could handle the increased salt levels
So you add Sodium Hyperchlorite daily ? And Muriatic acid which breaks down to salt ? I've got news for you about calcium chloride as well. It's not *the* salt, but it's *a* salt.

Nobody with LC ever cares about their ever increasing salt levels, but call it a 'salt pool' and everyone loses their minds. Well. In TX anyways.

The entire argument against salt is that raising it from 5% to 10% of seawater salinity will harm anything. It's just plain silly if you think it through. NOAA, who knows a thing or two about oceanography says that freshwater is up to 5000 ppm salt. Several others do to, but not everyone agrees. The ones claiming that brackish water starts at 1000 ppm would flunk both pools, but they'd still both be on the lowest threshold of the 27,000 ppm range of brackish water and behave like they're on the fence of freshwater.

Reactions: dfwnoob
There's no financial advantage to go to SWG right now. I hope that kits/cells come back down in the future, but it doesn't make sense right now.

I'm not against a SWG, just not worth the risk of adding more salt at this point. Really soft limestone is used in my area. Other's have reported spalling and holes in their limestone in central TX. The stone used in other areas is probably better.

Last edited:
There's no financial advantage to go to SWG right now. I hope that kits/cells come back down in the future, but it doesn't make sense right now.
There's no financial benefit to purchasing a stenner either, seeing how you still have to purchase, lug, and add the LC to the tank instead of the pool. I get it. You want one, and no arguments there, just playing devils advocate. :)

The aquapure will produce 3916 FC lifetime in your pool, with pro install assumimg $1k, for $0.76 per FC. You'd break even with 10% LC @ $4.70 a jug or $5.90 / 12.5%. (Before tax, theyd have to be cheaper with it). Future cells would be considerably cheaper not needing the controller or install. (5 min DIY plug and play swap). You'd clean up on future cells.

And trust me. You haven't lived until the FC just appears in the pool on its own by pressing a button. The convienence cannot be overstated
just not worth the risk of adding more salt at this point. Really soft limestone is used in my area. Other's have reported spalling and holes in their limestone in central TX.
We have many TX members having issues in both pools. It's the time elapsed and the moisture.

Walmart ships the chlorine for free, so I would just need to dump it in the tank every 4 weeks.

I don't have any good options right now. Only SWG options are the AquaPure and Hayward. The AquaPure doesn't have a good history of reliability. Many things seem to go wrong with the system. Hayward is an option, but integration doesn't seem straight forward. Both are extremely expensive right now.

Reactions: Newdude
I was on the SWG hunt for months, but stopped due to the many roadblocks. You had me thinking about it again. CircuPool is priced well, just no automation. I need to convince the wife that the stone won't have issues. If it does (even unrelated) and I put in the SWG, I'll never hear the end of it. My other issue is the complex and tight plumbing.

If it does (even unrelated) and I put in the SWG, I'll never hear the end of it
I too, have a Mrs. I feel ya. :hug: :ROFLMAO:

CircuPool is priced well, just no auautomation
They produce a heckuva lot more also, tipping the scales financially. You get 2 to 6 weeks between adjustments, so going manual really isn't an issue. I don't have a spa though, so that complicates it a bit.

My other issue is the complex and tight plumbing.
Don't be constrained by what you see. You can add a loop upward, front/back or left/right. A couple of 90s won't change the price of beer.

You had me thinking about it again.
I gave the seed some needed love. It'll do the rest on its own.

animal.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last edited by a moderator:
. I might be able to use the vertical install kit
You can save a couple bucks by making your own.
but not vertical
It's a loop. It's traditionally used vertical but nothing is stopping it from going another direction.
Only concern is chlorine output when we plan to use the spa only.
You'd have to go turn it down, which wouldn't be a deal breaker, but could be annoying at times if you used the spa frequently for a spell. (Like, multiple times a day)

You'd have to go turn it down, which wouldn't be a deal breaker, but could be annoying at times if you used the spa frequently for a spell. (Like, multiple times a day)
I'll turn the spa on remotely hours before getting in it (use the heat pump). It could get over chlorinated during those times.

I could connect the CircuPool power via a Kasa outdoor smart plug.

Or run the RJ45 for 7 hours when you normally don't use the spa to make 4.4 FC per day. It'd need even less runtime when it isn't nuclear TX out.

An RJ60 would make your peak season FC in under 5 hours. Circupool overstates it's production #s and all, so itll likely need a bit more than that, but the units are still absolute beasts.

I would have gone 3x in NY in a heartbeat. I'd go 4X in a warm climate for ROI only. The upgrade is less expensive than the chunk of lifespan gained. When you look at pricing, look at the RJ30 and upgrade it for $1 to the RJ45. Then do the same with the RJ45 base package plus $1 to RJ60. You'll get 33% more lifespan with the RJ60 for whatever the cost difference is at the time.

*edit. I just did the maths with today's prices. The RJ60 is 14% more expensive for 33% more life. With a long hot TX season, those hours 'on' go quick.

Does the RJ45 have the ability to schedule?
None of them do. Most have them on timers inside the pump runtime window which can be scheduled.

It eats a little of your long term savings but solves the spa issue to not have to fiddle with it to use the spa.

None of them do. Most have them on timers inside the pump runtime window which can be scheduled.

It eats a little of your long term savings but solves the spa issue to not have to fiddle with it to use the spa.
I can schedule with the Kasa smart outdoor plug (and turn off remotely). I would just wire the CircuPool to a standard power cord.

Are you using one with your Circupool? I use them for outdoor Christmas lights and string lights on the

Are you using one with your Circupool? I use them for outdoor Christmas lights and string lights on the pergola.
No, it runs alongside the filter pump schedule via timer as you cannot trust the flow switch on its own to control the power to the cell. If the pump runs 24/7 so would the cell but in a dialed down setting as per a calculation of how much FC needs to be produced. The cell doesn't care if you run it 12 hours at 100% or 24 hours at 50%, the final output will be the same. The life of a cell is calculated on running it 100% so anything less then that will give you more seasons out of it along with the notion of cell capacity being minimum 2X the gallon capacity of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.