Starting SWG, salt and chemicals adjustment

old_monk

Mar 28, 2024
Raleigh
Since my new plaster is past 30 days and water temp is good, planning to start the SWG for first time this week.
My current levels are in poolmath logs (pH 7.5, TA 120, FC 4, CH 200, CYA 30).
Plan is to raise all the chemicals to right levels, test salt level, add more salt based on results.
My SWG comes with salt recommendation level of 3200ppm and CYA of 40. TFP recommends CYA 70-80 for plaster pools. What shall I target?
TA is already out of bound, planning to raise CH to 400 for now.

If I plug in pH 7.5, TA 120, CH 400, CYA 40, Salt 3200, current water temp 73 into poolmath, it shows CSI of -0.04. That sounds good to me. Am I missing anything in this plan?
thanks.

Last edited:
Since you have been riding the edge of minimum while curing the first step might need to be raising fc to target levels for your current cya and doing an oclt before increasing cya.
Once you pass a cya of 70 should be sufficient.
Use the sock method to increase cya - do it in stages as to not over shoot. Wait 24 hrs after adding to retest.
For salt I would aim for 3000 ppm with that swcg.
Add it in increments so you don’t over shoot just like with cya.
Retest after 24 hrs of an addition & before turning on the cell after the final addition.

Reactions: old_monk
Ok, I'll do the OCLT tonight. CYA is at 30 so will target FC of 5 and take reading before it gets dark.

Why did you recommend 3000 ppm for that SWCG when owners manual says 3200? Just trying to understand the background.

Am I missing anything in this plan?
What's the TA and CH of your fill water?

I was planning to buy bags of these from my local store, ok or not ok?
Those are perfect. Remember to leave the SWCG off for at least 24 hours when you add the salt so it can mix evenly.

Ok, I'll do the OCLT tonight. CYA is at 30 so will target FC of 5 and take reading before it gets dark.

Why did you recommend 3000 ppm for that SWCG when owners manual says 3200? Just trying to understand the background.
The manual calls for 2700-3200ppm
Mid point of that is approximately 3000ppm (3050)
If you overshoot or the controller “thinks” the salt is too high it will throw an alarm or possibly running the amps too high which can damage the board.
It deduces the salt level via conductivity- when the cell is new it has the most conductivity it will ever have. Often resulting in readings that are higher than actual salinity. This will get lower over time as the cell is used & its coating is depleted.

Given the TA and CH of my fill water, any concerns with raising to chemical levels I mentioned above?
Given your fill water has CH 125, I'd add just a little calcium now to take your CH to 250. Over the course of the summer, fill water and evaporation will slowly increase your CH level.

TA (and subsequent pH) increase due to fill water is easily managed with MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Given your fill water has CH 125, I'd add just a little calcium now to take your CH to 250. Over the course of the summer, fill water and evaporation will slowly increase your CH level.

TA (and subsequent pH) increase due to fill water is easily managed with MA.
Thanks for the tip, read it late and had already started the chem add steps yesterday. Raised CH to 300 as first step, will keep it at that.
Bumped CYA to 50, Keeping FC at 6, added salt to 2800. Cell display is showing 2800 today. Will test CYA and Salt in afternoon at approx 24 hr mark. Next step to raise CYA to 70 and salt to 3200 and leave it at that.
PoolMath logs are up-to-date.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and pjt
Little update, for some reason second phase salt add to bump to 3200 did not register in the test. Not sure why, I added the quantity as per poolmath.
CH showed up at 300 after the bump, as expected. I had CYA bumped to 70 in steps, I struggled with black dot at 70 but completely invisible at 60. So will retest later today.
Keeping FC at 7 now.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Salt finally read 3200 in drop test. CYA exactly at 70. I'll turn on the SWCG today. Turning on heater as well to enjoy the spa.
Per my PB, I should run SWCG at 50% and adjust and need to keep pump at max speed for heater. Any concerns with that advise?
Please review my logs if I'm missing anything else. CSI at 0.07.
Thx!

I lowered the cell % but FC is still hovering around 10. Based on my setup and the logs, how much lower shall I set it? Hoping to have it in 7-8 range.

Also, any other pitfalls I need to watch out given the SWCG is active? Would my SWCG automatically shutoff if pump is off for any reason?
thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support