Starting from scratch.....

As of this morning....

FC = 8
CC = 0

Should I consider this pool sanitized and start leveling out other things like TA or should I double check with an OCLT tonight?

Should I also consider bumping up CYA to 30 (or even 40)? Seems like going from FC 19 to 8 over 24 hours (even starting with a CC of 1) is a bit much. The sun is really starting to beat down here in FL and our pool is completely open to the light for most of the day.

How much FC loss/day should I attempt to target (keeping in mind that certain events would obviously slow/hasten that loss).

Thanks!

Still too soon to worry about the CYA, it can take up to a week to register. Just assume you have CYA=30 at this point. People get in trouble by adding more too soon and overshooting thier goal.

Please remember that you should follow the directions on SLAMing your pool completely to the end. In your case it should almost be over, but keep that FC up at shock level for CYA 30 until you pass the OCLT. A lot of folks see the nice clear water and relax. You gotta kill all the stuff in the water or it will come back.....

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

For now test FC and add chlorine to adjust up to shock levels (for you 12) several times a day. Ignore all the other tests while you are in a SLAM.

Complete the SLAM, with all criteria met. You are likely about done, just make sure.

When done focus on pH first, and TA last. You can find out how to work it down reading the article in pool school, but don't be distracted with it.

A loss of 2, and as much as 4 PPM during peak summer months should be expected. Your milage will vary with use, and cloudy days, but this is pretty normal, even with proper cya levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.