Starting from scratch

deb1unlimited

Bronze Supporter
Mar 29, 2016
Joplin, MO
We had to replace our pool liner this year and it was done once the temps hit 60 degrees for a day. It is about 27K gallons and I've maintained it with liquid pool chlorine, MA, baking soda, CYA, and Borax for 4 seasons without any issues. This year has been a nightmare. First of all, we have been unable to find enough liquid pool chlorine so I have now gone to dry dichlor stuff. The pH won't stabiliize and I'm needing to add MA in large amounts. I've put 3 boxes of borax in so far to stop the wild swings. I also have a big algae problem, which I've never had before. I shocked the pool again two weeks ago and despite keeping the FC between 2 and 4, I have algae all over the walls once again. MY TA is 110, temp is 85, pH 7.8, CYA is 50. Do I dump more borax in?

Check the FC/CYA chart. I believe 4 is the bare minimum for 50 CYA and target is 6-8. I think you've been keeping you FC under the minimum for CYA and should probably SLAM the pool. Are you using a TFP approved test kit?
Yes, green pool - you must follow the SLAM Process. Also familiarize yourself with the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Exactly right on the FC/CYA Levels relationship. It’s key and not adhering will almost surely cause a green or cloudy pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.