Surprise , AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
After receiving a quote on a new pool and spa I decided to possibly designing and building my own as a OB. Seems like PB are still in the Pandemic pricing mindset. I have drawn a perliminary CAD drawing. I would like to get some feedback on possible issues or design suggestions. I updated plan. I moved spa into pool to save space and changed width. One question about bond beam for pool and spa. Is my design going to be an issue with bond beam and spa beam inline in the corner?

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartBound
The pool and spa are straight lined and you have round steps.
Does the spa have a raised bond beam? If so, you will have the benefits of visual and sound if you have a second spillway that faces the house.
Would have more comments if you can provide more information of your wants
for the finished pool.

Also in Phoenix. What were your quotes in the range of?

For your baja shelf the 5’ length would not accommodate a lounge ledger if that is something you might want in the future.

It would work on the 7’ side but then there would be zero spacing between if you have two of them.

If you can make the pool longer I would add a few feet.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It helps to get other perspectives. Still early in the process.

The pool and spa are straight lined and you have round steps.
Does the spa have a raised bond beam? If so, you will have the benefits of visual and sound if you have a second spillway that faces the house.
Would have more comments if you can provide more information of your wants
for the finished pool.
Yes, raised bond beam. I like the idea of the second spillway, it would also aid in circulation on the water on the baja shelf. Steps can be any shape I just through them into plan
Also in Phoenix. What were your quotes in the range of?

For your baja shelf the 5’ length would not accommodate a lounge ledger if that is something you might want in the future.

It would work on the 7’ side but then there would be zero spacing between if you have two of them.

If you can make the pool longer I would add a few feet.
Thanks for pointing that out I could lengthen the pool 2' leaving spa in same location making baja shelf 7x7 would not add much to pool volume.
What are your water depths? That question is also for the shelf.
Depths 5' at deep end. Baja is up in the air as far a depth trying to decide our desired usage. Wife desire is more for transtition area for grandchildren. If lounging is the goal we would have to lengthed it as derekbishop pointed out.

I have been playing around with some design changes. Is there an advantage to keeping SPA within perimeter of the pool? Additionally keeping just below coping or above. First design was sit and spin entry, not having experience with that type of design will access become unmanageable in later years?

It depends on how much area you will have around the spa’s location. If it’s going to be a tight area then it will be beneficial to move it into the walls of the pool. That works both ways.
With a raised bond beam you get the water fall sounds and a seating area around the perimeter.

Reactions: jonpcar
New revisions to design. Not sure where to place skimmer. Wind comes from front of house so it will tend to swirl in backyard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New revisions to design. Not sure where to place skimmer. Wind comes from front of house so it will tend to swirl in backyard.
Consider going deeper for the shallow and deep ends. If you’re going owner build route it’s really not much more expensive. 3.5’ you can’t really swim/wade in without scraping your knees as an adult. Your body is also more than halfway out the water when standing. Recommendation is 4’ minimum.

Additionally your pool is going to turn into a hot tub in the summer unless you plan to have a chiller.

Additionally your pool is going to turn into a hot tub in the summer unless you plan to have a chiller.
That is something to consider. Our original desire was a Spool but we were advised that we needed more water if we hoped to use it during the summer months. After this record summer heat and our experience with our son’s full size pool we are going pool with a Spa. Cost to run a chiller would hold us back.

"Updated Plan"
I updated plan. I moved spa into pool to save space and changed width. One question I have about bond beam for pool and spa. Is my design going to be an issue with bond beam and spa beam inline in the corner?

Can you go into more detail about this?
The designs I have received so far all have the Spa partially outside the pool or fully outside the pool. We want to limit the footprint so we wanted the spa inside of the 15'x24' water surface area. We do not want it at 0" but at 18" to assist with getting in and out plus a place for friends to sit with just their feet in spa. I looked at many pools online but did not notice any at 18" beam height most at pool level. That is why I asked the question.

Thanks for input. You are suggesting increasing depth to 24” on bench and adding a step to assist exiting the spa. All that makes good sense. I was questioning if it was depth was enough to get the benefits of the therapeutic jets. Step makes sense as we get older it will help us exit. On the plans I need to add change of plane at the spa to pool intersection to avoid confusion. The 1/4” towards spa assists with keeping water from pooling on waterfall ledge? One other item comes to mind, number of jets needed seems all the PB quoted 5 jets not sure how they settled on 5

The depth change is for taller people who may also use the spa , 21” is standard, if you would prefer a more accommodating for more people then split the levels of seating.
I personally do not like “sit and spin” spas ( no step ), a step at a 45 takes up little space and more convenient.
The 1/4” cut back to the spa on the spillway is to keep the tile submerged when the spillway is not activated and lessens the chance of water drying on the surface and leaving deposits behind.
The size of the spa is a personal preference, it seems like most builders draw a 7’ spa with 6 jets with little to no input from the customer.
What do you want from your spa? Almost all the spas I am involved with have over 12 jets specifically located to the customers request.

Updated plan added Skimmer and returns. Anything look incorrect? Added 3 returns to create clockwise circulation toward skimmer. Waterfall from spa should be carried toward skimmer from Baja shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support