Started the Summer with Algae - now we can’t get rid of a stinky smell in the water!

Lkpearce00

Jul 2, 2020
St. Paul, MN
First time poster here!

Background info: we have a 20,000 gallon in the ground pool and have had it working well for 4 summers now. We have a sand filter and a nature 2 cartridge. We have an automatic cover so it’s usually covered unless in use, and it’s used probably every other day. This is the first year where we had a water mold/algae floating on top of the water when we opened it for the season. We treated it with algaecide and shocked it, but the chlorine levels kept disappearing. Turns out we had phosphates in our water (this has never happened to us before) which required 4 phosphate treatments before the chlorine started to stabilize. We’ve shocked the pool at least a half dozen times since then.

Here’s our problem: the water is clear, the pool store tested our water and all the chemicals balanced, but the water STINKS. Not like chlorine, but like a lake! Or fish! It’s terrible and I’m embarrassed having people use it, let alone bringing our infant son into the pool.

The only idea our pool store had was to use a product called Pool perfect, but that has made little to no difference. We’ve tried adding more algaecide, more pool perfect, more chlorine — nothing seems to help.

We haven’t replaced our sand in the filter since we first got the pool going 4 years ago. Is it possible that the sand is releasing the smell into the pool? Could we still have an algae problem if the pool is clear? Could there still be phosphates in the water and do those cause stink? I’m desperate! Help!

Well, first I'd like to welcome you to Trouble Free Pools. We work on the most proven way to keep a pool nice and sanitary is for the pool owners themselves to manage the testing. When chemicals are needed they are the most basic form, usually all purchased at the grocer or hardware store. No magic potions that we find pool stores pushing. You've already spent too much on bad products. Lets go basic, ok?

How have you been sanitizing your water normally? What product do you use?

I'd suggest a test kit from here called the TF-100- www.ftestkits.net

Then I'd go to Walmart and pick up about 10 gallons of their 10% Pool Essentials liquid chlorine and add one gallon per day until your test kit arrives. Brush the pool daily also.

Sand never needs replacing unless something sticky has been added to the pool, like clarifier. A good deep clean is a good idea though.

Please read--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Maddie

Last edited:
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.