Stair Railing loosens up

rgedad

Jul 28, 2022
Fort Worth, TX
I purchased an SR Smith ART-1004 Deck Mounted Stair Rail along with two AS-100B Pool 4" Bronze Anchor Sockets. In Late September 2022 these were installed by the pool installation company while pouring the concrete patio for the smaller (6000 Gallon) in-ground fiberglass pool. Since then, periodically, the handrail gets so loose it can be just lifted out. On four occasions, the retaining bolts have had to be tightened. I have been careful to not over tighten the retaining bolts so as to not damage the handrail, but I tightened them quite firm. When I tighten the handrails there is no movement at all, then they loosen up again. When using the stairs/rail there is not undue strain on the handrail from pulling as I am the only adult using the pool, and I hold it for balance only. I do not pull myself up via the railing.

No glue/lock agent has ever been applied to the anchor socket bolts.
I do not currently have a torque wrench, nor do I have the torque specification for the anchors

What might be the issue with the anchor sockets.
What might be done to firmly anchor the rail to the socket so it does not loosen up?
Thank you for your help.

I purchased an SR Smith ART-1004 Deck Mounted Stair Rail along with two AS-100B Pool 4" Bronze Anchor Sockets. In Late September 2022 these were installed by the pool installation company while pouring the concrete patio for the smaller (6000 Gallon) in-ground fiberglass pool. Since then, periodically, the handrail gets so loose it can be just lifted out. On four occasions, the retaining bolts have had to be tightened. I have been careful to not over tighten the retaining bolts so as to not damage the handrail, but I tightened them quite firm. When I tighten the handrails there is no movement at all, then they loosen up again. When using the stairs/rail there is not undue strain on the handrail from pulling as I am the only adult using the pool, and I hold it for balance only. I do not pull myself up via the railing.

I do not currently have a torque wrench, nor do I have the torque specification for the anchors

What might be done to firmly anchor the rail to the socket so it does not loosen up?
Thank you for your help.
I don’t have a solution except to suggest marking the bolts after you tighten them with a paint pen. Then wait for the ladder to loosen up again. If the bolts has untwisted loose, you’ll know it’s a bolt issue but if they haven’t untwisted and the ladder is still loose, you know it’s some kind of socket issue. There’s usually a little “wedge” that the bolt threads through that draws up and clamps the tube.

I don’t have a solution except to suggest marking the bolts after you tighten them with a paint pen. Then wait for the ladder to loosen up again. If the bolts has untwisted loose, you’ll know it’s a bolt issue but if they haven’t untwisted and the ladder is still loose, you know it’s some kind of socket issue. There’s usually a little “wedge” that the bolt threads through that draws up and clamps the tube.
You can buy wood or aluminum solid wedges that fit inside the rails that keeps them from being crushed in the anchors Look online or at a pool store

Thank you for your help.
Pool Tools 136A stabilizing plugs for 1.90" rails. That's the size SR Smith says yours are. Gives the wedges something to tighten against without crushing the rail. Should solve the problem. They do take some effort to drive into the rail, especially if it has been crushed a bit.

Thanks for the Input - I ordered a set of Plugs. I also ordered a Tail Pipe expander tool to try to re-round the slightly dented pipes. On one pipe I can visible see a deformation. - Will have to go gingerly with that so as to not expand too much. The tool was only $35, the Plugs were about $20 each. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.