Stains on new plaster

KevinL

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2023
Long Beach, CA
We had the pool replastered about seven months ago. Since then I have noticed at least four or five of these odd, gray-colored stains appear on my new plaster. It's quite discouraging. I found an old thread where somebody speculated it might be copper that created some sort of gray copper compound. But I don't think I have any copper ions in my pool, and I don't use an algaecide. I've included some photos, although stains don't appear as pronounced in the photos as they do in real life.

Has anyone seen stains like these or? Could you possibly enlighten me on what they might be in how I could deal with them?

Thank you

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 45
We had the pool replastered about seven months ago. Since then I have noticed at least four or five of these odd, gray-colored stains appear on my new plaster. It's quite discouraging. I found an old thread where somebody speculated it might be copper that created some sort of gray copper compound. But I don't think I have any copper ions in my pool, and I don't use an algaecide. I've included some photos, although stains don't appear as pronounced in the photos as they do in real life.

Has anyone seen stains like these or? Could you possibly enlighten me on what they might be in how I could deal with them?

Thank you
You don’t use Clorox chlorine tablets do you?

Have you tried putting some vitamin C tablets on it? Crush some up and put them in a sock. Put the sock over the the stain and let it sit for about 10 mins. If you can reach it you can also rub the C tablet on it and see what happens.

^^^^^ And if that doesn't work (ie if it's not a metal stain), try the same with chlorine granules in the sock (to see if its an organic stain). I suspect it's actually mottling from poorly mixed CaCl in the original plaster mix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.