Stains on liner

Drockk93

Jun 1, 2022
New Jersey
Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. Discovering this forum last summer after owning a pool for now 5 years has been invaluable. I learned so much from this forum and own a Taylor test kit because of recommendations here which has allowed me for the first time this year to test my pool water at opening without relying on what the pool store tells me.

I recently had the coping around my pool repainted along with the diving board. Coincidentally, 2 days after this job was done I noticed orange/brown spots isolated in various spots in the pool. I figured it was probably rust from metal shaving that were perhaps sanded off into the pool during the paint prep process however I have tried vitamin C tabs on 2 occasions to no effect. Does anyone know what these stains might be from and how I may be able to remove them? I’d greatly appreciate any thoughts. The liner is from 2019 and my test levels are below. There are also 2 photos attached for reference. Thank you.

PH:7.8
CH:110
FC:0.6
CC:0.4
TA:120
CYA:25 (this is a best guess, the black dot in the test tube only disappears once the solution to test is up to the brim of the test tube. The lowest level mine can read is 30.)

IMG_6959.jpegIMG_6960.jpeg

Well, it *might* be organic (although I'd have thunk its metal shavings also) so try a chlorine puck rubbed on it for a minute.
Your FC should be higher, so a skosh over normal and brushing may take care of it also.

Maddie :flower:

Well, it *might* be organic (although I'd have thunk its metal shavings also) so try a chlorine puck rubbed on it for a minute.
Your FC should be higher, so a skosh over normal and brushing may take care of it also.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you for your response! I will definitely try adding more chlorine, I use liquid but do have some pucks left over from last year and can try your suggestion. The more I think about it, pool coping is generally made of aluminum which is non-ferrous and doesn't rust so I am hoping they are just organic stains I can shock and brush away.

Just an update, I have yet to try the tri-chlor tab but again now think its a metal stain because when I was cleaning out my vacuum filter I noticed these small squiggly metal pieces that I would liken to the the bristles you'd find on a wire brush or wire wheel. I'm guessing these were used when my coping was sanded. So unfortunately I believe I am dealing with rust stains so its interesting the vitamin C tab didn't work, perhaps I need to go more aggressive with the treatment. I bought a Jack's Magic Stain ID kit as well to really try and get to the bottom of it but would appreciate any suggestions if it is in fact rust. Thank you!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Hello everyone,

My FC levels are near 0 so am preparing to run an absorbing acid treatment. I know I will need to add a sequestering agent to the pool afterwords. My local pool store sells Sequa-sol and Super Sequa-sol but I saw jacks magic pink stuff in the sequestering page here on TFP recommended. Does anyone have any experience with Sequa-Sol and if that would be ok vs jacks magic pink stuff? I would like to start treatment this weekend if I can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.