Staining Causes

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
I posted the other day about some stains that I thought could be from topping off our pool with city water. I've since been told by a city worker that our water does not contain high iron and none of my neighbors seem to be having an issue. The stains definitely come off with vitamin C though. The main drains are especially stained, a brownish/orange color. There is also some slight discoloration along the edges of the pool stairs. I don't use any potions or anything other than the basic muriatic acid and stabilizer along with my SWG. What else besides iron would cause this orangeish color? I have ordered the supplies to do an ascorbic acid treatment but would like to find the cause so I can take preventative measures in the future.

The stains definitely come off with vitamin C though. The main drains are especially stained, a brownish/orange color. What else besides iron would cause this orangeish color?
That's it - iron. Regardless of what a city worker says, you can still have some iron in the local water. Over time it will build with each fill and the iron level will become a problem. You can request or search for a water quality report from your city/county office. It should list the iron level. But Vitamin C doesn't lie. It the stain comes off with Vitamin C, it's iron, and it's coming from either a well or city water with high content. The only other thing would be if you had something metal around the pool rusting that was allowing dissolved iron into the water, but I doubt it.

That's it - iron. Regardless of what a city worker says, you can still have some iron in the local water. Over time it will build with each fill and the iron level will become a problem. You can request or search for a water quality report from your city/county office. It should list the iron level. But Vitamin C doesn't lie. It the stain comes off with Vitamin C, it's iron, and it's coming from either a well or city water with high content. The only other thing would be if you had something metal around the pool rusting that was allowing dissolved iron into the water, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the response. I used to work in water treatment so am familiar with annual water quality reports. In checking the reports for my city there is nothing in the report that mentions iron. I'll just proceed as previously suggested. Appreciate your time.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Something to consider .... while your 2018 Port O Annual Report doesn't show levels of iron, you are using a SWG. Some pool owners have experienced elevated levels of iron (over time) in their water from the salt added. Some brands simply are not as pure as others and can contribute to metals in the water. Just figured I'd mention that. When you have to buy at salt for the pool, make sure to look at the ingredients to see how pure it is. The only other thing I can think of is your plumbing. If the house is using any old metal lines underground, perhaps some rust/iron is coming from there?

Something to consider .... while your 2018 Port O Annual Report doesn't show levels of iron, you are using a SWG. Some pool owners have experienced elevated levels of iron (over time) in their water from the salt added. Some brands simply are not as pure as others and can contribute to metals in the water. Just figured I'd mention that. When you have to buy at salt for the pool, make sure to look at the ingredients to see how pure it is. The only other thing I can think of is your plumbing. If the house is using any old metal lines underground, perhaps some rust/iron is coming from there?

Good point, lots of reviews of Clorox salt and iron stains on walmart.com

I'm getting ready to add more salt so I'll definitely check that. I did see this thread Salt Staining about staining and have used the Clorox salt a few times in the past.

My subdivision is new (2014) so no old lines.

I bet it's the salt as there were no stains the entire first season and a half when I finally had to add more salt.

Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.