Marriottsville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Long time, no post TFP! I’ve been keeping my water well balanced since I found this place last year so it’s been a minute since I’ve needed some help.

This year I’m noticing some worsening stains in the deep end and wondering how to go about hopefully reducing or removing them? I found some pictures from last year of the deep end and they are definitely worse. Not sure where they came from.

Any insight on where to start with diagnosing type of stain and how to best remove? TIA!

One picture (with Polaris in it) will be from last year and the other from today. The small dark circle between the main drains has been there since we moved in 3 seasons ago, but the rusty looking stains to the far right seem to be worsened or new.

Attachments

• 0338D7D3-6A65-4BAD-AA2D-B2DD6032C491.jpeg
    0338D7D3-6A65-4BAD-AA2D-B2DD6032C491.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 68A5F151-4456-4413-A72E-DB7B509FCB44.jpeg
    68A5F151-4456-4413-A72E-DB7B509FCB44.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 24
I would first try to rub those areas with some Vitamin C tablets. Either rub the tablet directly on the stain, or place a few tablets in a thin sock or nylon, tie to the end of a pole, and rub the stain. Let's do that to rule out iron.

If that has no impact on the stain, try rubbing the stain with a chlorine tablet, or sprinkle a little Cal-Hypo granules on the stain if you have some to see if it's organic.

Reactions: Meghanfoss
Something like the vitamin c pills I take (nature made 1000mg vitamin c (as absorbic acid)) or do they need to be dissolvable tablets like you’d drink? Thanks!

Something like the vitamin c pills I take (nature made 1000mg vitamin c
Yes, just your regular tablet form Vitamin C tablets. No gummies. :) If you have to use a sock/nylon, then you'll have to crush them up a bit.

Looks like it was iron because a few stamps of the vitamin c nylon made a big difference. I guess the question now is, now what? Do I need to do anything?

Thanks Texas splash!

Attachments

• 1D7C5282-66F0-44BD-973B-57FD7009B915.jpeg
    1D7C5282-66F0-44BD-973B-57FD7009B915.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 5
Improvement using Vitamin C means iron. Are you on a well in your area? Is the iron content from local water known to be high? Orange stained plastics or porcelain fixtures in the home?

Not on a well. Municipal water. And now that you mention my master shower is like old white tile and plaster and it’s constantly orange!! No amount of scrubbing helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet if you rub a Vitamin C tablet in the shower area will make a change as well.

Can’t wait to try that haha.

All this said, what is my go forward solution? Do I just spot treat as needed or is this a problem that needs more attention to my fill water.

what is my go forward solution?
With summer knocking on the door, it's all about water management. Now that you know what it is, there are options.

- Yes, you can fill a sock with crushed-up tablets and do spot treatments by rubbing it on the stained areas.
- You can use a sequestrant which can help to lift stains and keep the iron in suspension in the water.
- It is also important to control the FC and pH as those two items, if allowed to get too high, can aggravate iron. FC needs to be managed per the FC/CYA Levels to avoid algae, but the pH should be kept from exceeding the 7.8 threshold. For some owners, a little lower pH helps.

Some owners that encounter wide-spread discoloration will do an Ascorbic Acid (AA) treatment when the water is cold just before closing or at opening. Once the AA has lifted all the staining, they will do a major water exchange. They will dump as much iron water as they can and have fresh water trucked in to exchange the water with fresh non-iron water. For those that can't do that, it's an ongoing application of the items above. Sometimes placing some polyfill in the skimmer can help capture the iron, but if the iron is trapped/contained by a sequestrant you may not see much progress. But you can always try.

Reactions: Meghanfoss
And this info ...............................

Sequestrant is a chemical that binds to the iron in the water so that it can't form stains or turn brown. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to add more regularly. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.