Stabilizing PH

Went through the configuration steps on ominlogic. I was able to get to the screen that asks about Spillover. It was already marked as "YES". I had to get to it by going to the "Pool" body of water.

So, my system already had:
- The spillover marked as "yes" (Although it did not give me the option to see/selects the valve associated with it)
- It's own button in app to turn it off/on and create schedules
- I can see the schedule that I created in both my app and the control panel

BUT - Somehow the Spillover still runs WHENEVER the pool filter is ON. What am I doing wrong?

I do not know the answer that....but here are the pictures of our two valve areas. Does this help answer the question?

Attachments

• Valve #1.jpg
    Valve #1.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Valve #2.jpg
    Valve #2.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 12
  • Valve #2. -  Closeup pool.jpg
    Valve #2. - Closeup pool.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Valve #2Closeup Spa.jpg
    Valve #2Closeup Spa.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 12
The Return valve is set to return water to the spa and pool. I cannot see under that if there is another line that returns water to the spa in Pool mode or not.

You will need to adjust the cam in the Valve actuator on top of the Return valve so that in Pool Mode, the Spa return is fully off.

The Return valve is set to return water to the spa and pool. I cannot see under that if there is another line that returns water to the spa in Pool mode or not.

You will need to adjust the cam in the Valve actuator on top of the Return valve so that in Pool Mode, the Spa return is fully off.
Thank you:) On the pic labeled. Valve #2...there is no other pipe labeled. The pipe that is running perpendicular to the Spa and Pool Returns lines is not to labeled and runs to the heater? I will let my husband know you told me. I think he will understand it more that I do! I can do numbers and chemistry...but playing with those valves...not so much:) Thank you again for your help! I will. keep you posted once I get the valve. adjusted :)

The pipe that is running perpendicular to the Spa and Pool Returns lines is not to labeled and runs to the heater?
Correct. That is the Return line. The Return valve then sends water to the Spa, Pool, or as it is set right now, both.

Gotcha! So, currently it is set to return to both when the pool filter is on . I need to move the valve so when the pool filter is on it’s only returning to the pool. Then, when I activate the spillover function it will adjust this valve so it’s returning to both pool and spa.

Last edited:
Then, when I activate the spillover function it will adjust this valve so it’s returning to both pool and spa.
When you activate Spillover, it will be Returning to just the Spa. The Suction will remain from the Pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you activate Spillover, it will be Returning to just the Spa. The Suction will remain from the Pool.
Ok...my husband was able to adjust the cam on the actuator...yay!! the new "settings/schedule" will run tomorrow. Fingered crossed!

If we see that the spa is getting too dirty (we have a TON of wind in Vegas) by staying stagnant most of the day....could we implement something like this:
1) Pool Filter mode - Pulling from Pool, returning to Pool 90%-95%, returning to Spa 5-10%, with an every so slight trickle of spillover to pool (just to keep the spa slightly circulating the whole day)
2) Spillover Mode (2xs a day for 15-20min)- Pull from Pool, returning to pool 50%, returning to Spa 50% (I believe this was our original "pool mode" setting). That way the pool continues to filter even when the spa is being filtered?

Or would that be a bad idea?

Last edited:
You do not have that flexibility. The Valve Actuator has two set points. One direction you will return all water to the pool, the other all water to the spa.

Just schedule the Spillover for 30 minutes twice a day. Say 9am and 2 pm. Or something like that. Then see how it goes.

Update: Today our App lost connection with the control panel and I didn't notice until 12:00pm.
So, the pool filter only ran from 12:00pm-4:00pm (verses 8:00am-4:00pm) - Spillover feature was off. So only returning to the pool.
And then I ran the spillover for 30 min this afternoon.

Tested Ph at 6:30pm and it still rose POINT 4. Went from 7.0 - 7.4

Anyways...at this point I am going to "let it ride for a bit". Maybe my pool want to settle closer to 7.2-7.6 (as opposed to 7.0). So, I am going to start aiming for 7.2-7.4. Maybe by aiming for a "higher" Ph it won't rise as fast??

Tomorrow is supposed to be a gorgeous day and I only work a half day...so I might actually go for a swim and enjoy all my hard work....lol!!

Anyways...at this point I am going to "let it ride for a bit". Maybe my pool want to settle closer to 7.2-7.6 (as opposed to 7.0). So, I am going to start aiming for 7.2-7.4. Maybe by aiming for a "higher" Ph it won't rise as fast??
Let it ride. With a TA of 100, you will still have some pH rise pressure. pH rise is caused by high TA and low pH. If you constantly push your pH low, it will rise, and also reduce TA. When you have a TA 60-80, your pH may sit nicely at 7,8-8.0.

Let it ride. With a TA of 100, you will still have some pH rise pressure. pH rise is caused by high TA and low pH. If you constantly push your pH low, it will rise, and also reduce TA. When you have a TA 60-80, your pH may sit nicely at 7,8-8.0.
Thanks for the explanation...that makes sense to me:)

My TA is at 70 as of June 26th.

When I first did my refill 2 weeks ago..it was 180!! Worked hard to aerate, raise Ph, add MA..rinse and repeat until I got it to 100. Then, I was aiming for a Ph of 7.0, which caused me to add quite a bit of MA over 3-4 days....so now I am at 70. I could possible be as low as 60.

But I get what you are saying:) I think I am aiming for too low of a Ph. The logic behind aiming low was....before my refill my CH was +1600! After my refill it is still at 700. Because if that I have what appears to be some calcium buildup with dirt imbedded stains...so I was trying to for a low Ph/neg CSI number to prevent buildup and maybe get rid of some of the existing. But, I think that is a "lost cause" at this point. I need to just aim for CSI of zero and let my Ph find a "happy balance". Maybe overtime, now that I can keep my FC at 10 maybe over time it will bleach some of the stains. If not...at least I know the rest of my chemicals are where they need to be:)

Last edited:
Update...I am still struggling with my Ph. I can't seem to get it stable.
My TA = 100 right now
Here is the funny thing...I went out of town for 4 days (Friday 7/21- Mon 7/24). Did all my testing and balancing Thursday night 7/20. Got Ph to 7.2. The entire time I was gone it was stable. When I tested on Mon 7/24 it was at 7.4. AWESOME!!!

Starting 7/27 it is rising and rises fast. by 7/29 it was 8.0.
In the last 24 hrs it has risen .6! Now..I don't mind having to add MA..since my TA is high.

But seriously...how can it be stable for 4 WHOLE days when I was gone and now that I am back..it is rising fast again.

The only think I can think of:
- since yesterday morning (7/29)we have TONS of ash from a fire (that is not close at all) and the ash is being carried into the air and into my pool. It is also causing "cloud cover" and the smoke smell is Strong.
- I am floating 2 pucks (dissolving at a rate of about 10-15% every 5 days)

I just don't understand. I cannot seem to stabilize PH.....unless I am gone...lol!

The pucks are acidic. They dissolve at varying rates depending on how much of them are left in the floater.

But I also floated 2 pucks when I was gone for 4 days...and the Ph was stable. So, why would it now cause it to rise...but not when I was gone?
I can remove the pucks, but I was planning on floating 1 to help stabilize my CYA.

The pucks dissolved while you were gone. Adding acid. Did you put brand new ones in and then the pH began to rise?

It is fine to float one. As long as you test CYA every few weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.