Stabilizing pH

Sep 11, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
My pool was refinished on July 14 and I installed a SWG on August 20.

I'm having to add about 1-2 cups of acid a day to keep pH in check. The pH goes from 7.5 to 8.0 to 8.2 in a day. Is this normal for a new finish or is there something else I need to look at? The TA will drift downward too.

Below are my last test results after adjusting the pH.

FC 9.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 425
CYA 70
Salt 3000
CSI -0.28
Temp 82

Thanks

Ken

Sounds completely normal to me.

Nice job on perfect numbers btw. :)

e: If you are running that spillway a lot that will increase pH quickly as well.

Ken,

As MrBruce pointed out, anything that causes aeration, like spillovers, waterfalls, and other water features will increase your pH. New plaster will just make it worse.

It should get better as your plaster ages. You can also lower your TA to 60 or 50 and see what that does for your pH stability.

Most SWCG pool like their pH to be about 7.8. In my case, the pool will often stay at 7.8 for a week or more this time of year, but will only stay at 7.5 for about half a microsecond... :p

I noticed that you said that TA would drift down (which is normal when reducing pH) so just wanted to make sure that you are not adding anything to keep it at 70.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Mr Bruce and Jim

The spillover is active anytime the pool runs, the spa is higher than the pool.

The TA started at 70 and drifted down to 40. The pH still needed to be adjusted daily, so I brought it back to 70 to see if that had any affect.

I'll keep feeding it acid daily and hopefully it stabilizes before too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.