Stabilizer in return - OK?

kitamiman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2011
Typically, people suggest hanging the CYA in a bag in front of a return.

I have found it very effective to put it in a bag/old tights on top of my drain, so water is pulled through it. My pool has two drains beside each other for safety, so water is also being pulled from the other drain when one has the bag of CYA on it, diluting the water containing CYA heading into the equipment. This works a treat, but I am concerned as to whether this method poses any risks to the pump, cartridge filter, or intellichlor...?

Thanks to all for any responses.

Typically, people suggest hanging the CYA in a bag in front of a return.

I have found it very effective to put it in a bag/old tights on top of my drain, so water is pulled through it. My pool has two drains beside each other for safety, so water is also being pulled from the other drain when one has the bag of CYA on it, diluting the water containing CYA heading into the equipment. This works a treat, but I am concerned as to whether this method poses any risks to the pump, cartridge filter, or intellichlor...?

Thanks to all for any responses.
It is best, safest, and our recommendation (for a trouble free pool) to put it in front of a return. If your tights break and you have a bunch of CYA laying around the pool, or a bunch gets into the drain and clogs it, can cause issues.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It can also damage your finish/surfaces by sitting there.
Cya is an acid - you don’t want that resting on anything .

If that's how you're going to do it, use the skimmer instead and it will remove all of the pool surface risks. Make absolutely sure the pump runs the entire time because we have seen CYA melt pvc before if it sat with no flow.

I let mine soak for a full day and then it disperses very easy. CYA is never that much of an emergency that it needs to be perfect this instant. Dose your FC high enough that it'll stay above minimum factoring the higher FC loss of lower CYA, and come back to it tomorrow.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you very much for the replies. My pool is fully tiled with negative edge, so no risks to finish and no skimmers. I put 120 fl oz (by vol) in a brewing bag on the drain last night and it all dissolved by this morning, so as no one has suggested a risk to pump/intellichlor etc I guess I will go on doing it this way. Thanks again...

I place my CYA in a sock or nylon in my skimmer basket. Takes a couple hours in the warm water to dissipate. I give it a squeeze once or twice while it is sitting there. My pump runs all the time so there is always water flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.