Sta-rite max-e-therm 400 turns on, rattles makes noises then heater turns off

csn

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Houston, TX
Just picked up a new issue.

A few seconds after the heater lights up, there are some clanging noises and the pipes rattle, then the heater stops heating.

Guessing the issue is likely a broken bypass valve?

I uploaded a video.

I found this video, which seems similar.

You have a waterflow problem inside or outside the heater. The rattling is water boiling in the heater before it shuts itself down.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

what type of filter do you have?

Reactions: csn
Thanks for saving me time and money again.

I put the variable speed pump in the fast 1st hour setting and the heater works fine.

The filter is probably a bit backed up along with the slow mid-day variable speed motor speed setting. You’re right, I need to backwash my filter. I backwashed it in February, but didn’t increase the SWCG level with recent increase in sun and warmth here in Houston. The filter is probably clogged a bit because of this.

Thanks again!

Just picked up a new issue.

A few seconds after the heater lights up, there are some clanging noises and the pipes rattle, then the heater stops heating.

Guessing the issue is likely a broken bypass valve?

I uploaded a video.

I found this video, which seems similar.
If cleaning the filter and/or increasing the rpm of the pump doesn't solve the issue, it is likely the internal bypass or the thermal regulator. I always replace both. Its a little more work, but I don't have call backs.