Sta-Rite Heater HLS error

Jeffmow

May 7, 2024
Harrison Twp, MI
I installed a new Sta-Rite heater before opening my pool 3 days ago. The heater was purchased in the fall but remained in the factory packaging for the winter. I did the installation myself because my pool guy wanted $600 for a 30 minute job. Upon start up I have a HLS ERR on the display, I do not hear anything happen when i try to turn the heater on. Does anyone have any advice? My pool guy has never seen this issue, starting to think he is just trying to stick it to me for not paying him for installation.

Your pool guy has never seen a bad high limit switch on a heater???

Measure resistance of the switch. With the heater off, it should be very low resistance.

I installed a new Sta-Rite heater before opening my pool 3 days ago. The heater was purchased in the fall but remained in the factory packaging for the winter. I did the installation myself because my pool guy wanted $600 for a 30 minute job. Upon start up I have a HLS ERR on the display, I do not hear anything happen when i try to turn the heater on. Does anyone have any advice? My pool guy has never seen this issue, starting to think he is just trying to stick it to me for not paying him for installation.
If the heater has never fired and you get an HLS error on startup before anything else happens, I've never seen that and I've worked on those heaters since they came out 30 years ago, and I'm not trying to stick anything to you.
If the heater does fire and you then get that error, you have a dirty filter, a clogged pump, a VSP's RPM set too low, just for starters.
Or you could have a bad heater from the factory, it happens.
Your post isn't clear on the order of events. Does the fan come on? How far into the ignition sequence does the heater get before the error?

The High Limit Switch prevents the Heat Exchanger outlet temperature from exceeding 135°F (±8°F).

Test the HLS switch with your multimeter. It should read closed with continuity normally. If open it is defective .