SR Smith Typhoon issue - cracked valve & pipe. Need help (1) removing existing glued PVC and (2) how to prevent cracking in winter

nyvram

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2015
Fairview, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First things first, the slide is only 1-2 years old and SR Smith already sent a repair kit (see below) but we're on our own to swap it. We just moved into the house and discovered the cracked pipe but seller led us to believe he would fix under warranty..but all he did was contact SR to get the parts mailed.

Second, I watched a couple youtube videos about removing glued PVC and it looks like a PiTA and our plumber won't repair the slide. So I guess I'm on my own so I'm hoping someone on here has had this issue and able to successfully fix it.

Third, if my guess is correct and this occurred due to the pipe freezing in the winter, how do I prevent that from happening again? I was going to ask the plumber if he could install some type of relief valve at the base of the PVC pipe to drain water but I guess that's not going to happen. What do those of you who live up north with water slides do to prevent it from freezing in the winter? Did the previous homeowner not know what they were doing or is there a proper way to get the water out of the hose with the pool valves?

FYI I need to update my info; this is a basic pool; 30,000 gallons (estimated) with a cartridge filter and those little blue valves to open/close the various pipes. I miss my spider gasket and sand filter already. :-(

Thank you guys!! Y'all have always been a great resource and I'm going to need you with this strange new pool. :)

7M1zPYH.jpg

rhUX53u.jpg

dWRlXpD.jpg

Kit sent by SR Smith

i43lDc8.jpg

If you were to install a T fitting near the bottom of the flex pipe with a 1/2" fip on the T portion you could then put in a 1/2" male plug and remove it as a drain plug in the Winter. If it is 3/4" pipe then this will work with a plug:
That may be 1" flex pipe. It can be glued using standard PVC glue. (Edit: a closer look at the bushing at the bottom confirms you have 1" pipe. Get a 1"sX.5"fipX1"s T. "S" stands for socket).
To cut the pipe you can use a strong nylon string or something like this to fit into that area:

Last edited:
If you were to install a T fitting near the bottom of the flex pipe with a 1/2" fip on the T portion you could then put in a 1/2" male plug and remove it as a drain plug in the Winter. If it is 3/4" pipe then this will work with a plug:
That may be 1" flex pipe. It can be glued using standard PVC glue. (Edit: a closer look at the bushing at the bottom confirms you have 1" pipe. Get a 1"sX.5"fipX1"s T. "S" stands for socket).
To cut the pipe you can use a strong nylon string or something like this to fit into that area:
Is this the correct piece? T pipe, female threads

I have been so busy moving in I haven't had much chance to mess with this until now. I just glue this to the pipe near the base and cap it then when i winterize the pool, unscrew the cap and let any water inside drain out. is that the concept?

I still haven't fixed my issue but it just occurred to me this might be a cleaner fix if I just cut the flex pipe near the base and top instead of trying to pull the existing ones loose and add this near the base and a normal 1" collar near the top? Does that make sense? I'm a dummy thinking I had to rip the existing pvc pipe & glue because the crack is in the middle by the valve so thats the only damaged area.

Is this the correct piece? T pipe, female threads

I have been so busy moving in I haven't had much chance to mess with this until now. I just glue this to the pipe near the base and cap it then when i winterize the pool, unscrew the cap and let any water inside drain out. is that the concept?

I still haven't fixed my issue but it just occurred to me this might be a cleaner fix if I just cut the flex pipe near the base and top instead of trying to pull the existing ones loose and add this near the base and a normal 1" collar near the top? Does that make sense? I'm a dummy thinking I had to rip the existing pvc pipe & glue because the crack is in the middle by the valve so thats the only damaged area.
Should work, yes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.