Spring-loaded pool covers?

Jan 28, 2014
Buckeye AZ
After 5 years of leaving the water exposed 365 days a year, our salt level (softened fill) is unmanagable and a refill is needed. I'd like to reduce evaporation to cut back on the amount of fill water needed.
I am not looking for a safety cover, or even a "solar" cover. Just evaporation reduction.
Do they sell giant discs of vinyl that easily fold up on themselves, like your car windshield sun screen, but like 10 feet wide? I'd be happy throwing a few of those onto the pool. I am not interested in anything that requires a reel.

I've looked through the last year's posts, but haven't surfed amazon yet.

What is your salt level and why do you think it is unmanagable?

The soft water you use to replace evaporated water shouldn't be adding to the salt level if the water softener is functioning properly. While the water softener does add a little sodium to the water, that's not the same as adding salt.

Possibly the best, most economical solution to evaporation is a bubble cover (solar cover). This will reduce evaporation and protect from heat loss - especially at night. You can cut the cover in managable sized pieces or use a reel. A lot depends on the shape of your pool. I use a reel on a free form pool. But I only use it in spring and fall. Other times it hangs from the garage ceiling. And in our Arizona summers, leaving the cover on makes the water too warm (92+).

Using a reel for the solar cover is the easiest in my opinion. Roll it up, move the whole unit to out of the way, swim, put reel back in place, extend cover. Takes maybe 5 minutes total, off/on. And it can be done by one person. If I didn't have a reel, I wouldn't use a solar cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.