Redlands, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We have a Rheem 337A Low NOX Model pool heater. When it tries to start it shows a CFH (Call for heat) then shows a "SPR" (Spare Fault code indicator). I can't find what that means. I just wanted to check here before I order a replacement board. I had already fixed some cold solder joints in the past, so I was thinking of pulling the board and checking those again.

We have a Rheem 337A Low NOX Model pool heater. When it tries to start it shows a CFH (Call for heat) then shows a "SPR" (Spare Fault code indicator). I can't find what that means. I just wanted to check here before I order a replacement board. I had already fixed some cold solder joints in the past, so I was thinking of pulling the board and checking those again.
Lizards and small rodents have been know to get on the front of the board, cause a short and trip that code. Usually they get between the board and the front panel. Sometimes removing them solves the issue, sometimes the board is "toast".

Reactions: drknapp
Thanks for your help! Found another cold solder joint on one of the SPR pins on the board. Re-soldered and all is good now.
It seems odd that you are getting so many bad solder joints.

The SPR circuit does not even carry any current, so it should never fail.

Maybe there is an issue with exposure to heat or humidity?

Maybe a bad board or maybe some sort of animal infestation.

Mice are known to get into heaters and wreak havoc.

Last edited:
We have just had a lot of trees removed from around our pool. They parked their chipper right next to the pool equipment. I'm betting the vibration from that thing running for several hours had a bit to do with it in retrospect.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.