Spotty algae

Thanks for the replies fellas!

I had to shock my pool today without the TF100 in my hands.... but did buy a $20 testing kit at walmart which can test CYA.

Algae was spreading and i saw more spots of algae growth over one day. I used regular Clorox bleach 6% strength and added 11.36 gallons of it, a bit over what the pool calculator said.

Before shocking: FC= 7-8, TA=110, CYA= 80, Ph=7.5-7.6, hardness= 0, CC almost zero but the kits i have are not accurate to 0.5 levels. I could not see any perceivable color change in test sample when doing the TC and FC test. Both colors were the same so I am concluding that CC was almost zero.

6.5 hours after shocking: FC= above what the kits can test, TA=120, pH= through the roof! it is like 8 or something and beyond what the kit can show.

Any ideas why the pH shot up? and why the TA has risen?

Also, with my limited test kit, how do I carry on shocking and determine when to stop it other than visually seeing no algae anymore?

Thanks!

Suley said:
Any ideas why the pH shot up? and why the TA has risen?

Also, with my limited test kit, how do I carry on shocking and determine when to stop it other than visually seeing no algae anymore?
The pH test is inaccurate when the FC is high and can falsely read high, but adding bleach or chlorinating liquid makes the pH go up anyway, but it will come back down when the chlorine gets used up (i.e. when the FC drops back down after you are done shocking). The TA rises a little when the pH goes up, but 10 ppm is well within test error anyway. With your test kit, you can estimate the FC by diluting the water with distilled water and then multiplying by the dilution ratio so a 1:1 dilution you'd multiply the FC reading by 2; a 1:2 dilution you'd multiply the FC result by 3; etc.

24 hours after starting shock:

FC 20-40 (leslies taylor kit). I think it is near 40 as the color is. no algae regrowth. brushing releases white clouds even in some places where i did not see any algae. CYA is at 80.

I try to do the TC test using the leslies taylor kit but as soon as i do it the test sample turns lighter and keeps turning lighter till it looses most of its color. The instructions say subtract FC from TC so shouldn't the test sample turn darker? with my results, it is showing negative CC!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't worry about the TC right now. It sounds like that's still bleaching out the DPD test in spite of your dilution. Just brush the pool to get the cloudiness filtered out. You shouldn't need to go above 30 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA so let the FC drop which it should in sunlight and add more chlorine if it drops below that shock level target. At least this is taking care of the algae.

Thanks!

How long should i continue the shock process? In 24 hours algae has not come back. I used the dolphin to vacuum the pool before starting the shock and brushed the pool twice during 24 hours it has been in shock. Still getting the white powdery stuff on the second brushing but not as much as the first time.

Should i continue shocking? How to tell to stop since i have inaccurate TC so no CC numbers? overnight FC test will also be an inference as the kit gives a range rather than exact numbers.

chem geek said:
Dave's shipping of the TFTestkits TF-100 test kit is usually very fast, so when did you order it? I'd just wait for it to arrive and then do an overnight chlorine loss test to see that you are losing <= 1 ppm FC and that CC is <= 0.5 ppm.

Just as an example. I just ordered replacement re agents full kit, and I ordered on a Thursday and they arrived on Wednesday, but that was over the holiday weekend So there was no shipping on Saturday and Monday...So it basically took three days. They get it out fast.

Suley said:
Thanks!

How long should i continue the shock process? In 24 hours algae has not come back. I used the dolphin to vacuum the pool before starting the shock and brushed the pool twice during 24 hours it has been in shock. Still getting the white powdery stuff on the second brushing but not as much as the first time.

Should i continue shocking? How to tell to stop since i have inaccurate TC so no CC numbers? overnight FC test will also be an inference as the kit gives a range rather than exact numbers.

Until your CC drops below .5 and you can pass the overnight FC test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TF 100 just got delivered.

I have been keeping the pool at shock level all along for the past 6 days. No algae regrowth till now.

What tests should I do for you guys to help me adjusting the pool and getting away from the clutches of Leslies?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Here are the numbers after testing with TF100

FC 15.5
CC 0.5
TC 16
pH 8.0
TA 120
CH 160
CYA 65
Temp 75F

What do i need to do to start BBB?

Thanks!

Bleach every night - assuming you have passed the Overnight FC loss test? How is the water looking, are you still seeing what you suspect is algae?

When everything is stable, your CH is too low. But that can wait.

When the FC drops below 10, retest the PH.

Have you been reading Pool School?

Thanks!

The water is real clear and I dont see anything which resembles algae.... I think I burned the living daylights out of everything in the pool as Leslies said my CYA was 80 and i shocked it at 31ppm of bleach as per pool school...

Now that I am more confident about the correct CYA level (did the test twice to be sure) I see that the TF100 has already saved me a bunch of money as I am not looking at a 50% water change!

Doing the overnight FC test tonight and will come to know the results in the morning.

So i just wait for the FC levels to come down naturally? Also, at FC=15 can I run my dolphin to vacuum the pool? I hope it is not high enough to damage the poor thing!

Spotty algae - Found Cause?

Hello again all of you!

First thanks to this forum, I got rid of the algae by shocking the pool and my water has never been more clear! Still in the process of balancing the chemistry but am already seeing results especially at night when the pool lights are turned on.

Here is my theory on how i got algae while FC was maintained:

1) Wrong CYA results from pool store lead to my FC levels at lower side of what is needed in the pool. During the day the FC used to fall below the required level before i used to top it up again in the evening.
2) After switching over to variable speed pump and running it on low but for extended hours, the shallow side jet (furthest away from the pump) was not returning enough water to make the water move. It has a 35 feet length of water ahead of it till the water reaches the deep side jet. This caused poor circulation on that side of the pool and that is the side where spots of algae were growing.

I am in the process of changing the eyeballs to different sizes to direct more water to the shallow side return so that i can still run the pump at low speed while getting better circulation.

What do you guys think? Have i found the cause?

Thanks!

Re: Spotty algae - Found Cause?

Suley,

When you start all these new threads, people can't remember your old thread and won't go back to re-read.
Topic merged. JasonLion

Keep virtually everything about your pool in one thread so everyone who reads it can understand your "story"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.