Sports pool vs traditional pool

Cd123

Feb 5, 2024
Wisconsin
We are finalizing pool plans and curious people thoughts on pool depth. Considering 3.5 feet, 5.5, 4 sports pool for volleyball. Or longer shallow area to 6 feet deep end.

How long does the shallow area need to be for volleyball. I have three kids 3-13. Anyone regret sports bottom?

+1. I built a 'swimming pool' and as such went as large and deep as possible for the budget.

But plenty of folks build lounge pools or sports pools too. It's all about how you're gonna use it.

The kids will adapt to anything you put in front of them. There will be games played no matter what, just different games. This was hammered home when my kids constantly asked leave my inground pool to go play in the neighbor's above ground pool. 20 mins later they wanted to do the swim-y games again. Lol.

Reactions: Cd123
Also. Growing up with beaches everywhere that we frequented before everybody had pools, we had a phrase for being able to play volleyball and such. 'Low tide'. 😁

(And we made do playing things you needed to touch bottom for. Not one ounce of fun was lost). A few hours later, we went swimming for real again.

Considering 3.5 feet, 5.5, 4 sports pool for volleyball.
I would recommend 4' for the shallow end(s). 5.5' is an awkward depth since only tall people can stand in that water. I have a 4-5-4 profile and I really like it. We use every square inch of the pool.

6 feet deep end
That will rarely get used. 6' is too deep for people to stand, but too shallow for diving, etc.. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I would recommend 4' for the shallow end(s). 5.5' is an awkward depth since only tall people can stand in that water. I have a 4-5-4 profile and I really like it. We use every square inch of the pool.

That will rarely get used. 6' is too deep for people to stand, but too shallow for diving, etc.. I'd suggest 5' or commit to a true deep end.
Thank you for your insights. We won’t have a diving board and can do a max depth of 8 feet. Is that a true deep end?

What is the length of your pool? Do you find the slopes from 4 to 5 steep? Is 5 feet deep enough to jump into/cannonball?

+1. I built a 'swimming pool' and as such went as large and deep as possible for the budget.

But plenty of folks build lounge pools or sports pools too. It's all about how you're gonna use it.

The kids will adapt to anything you put in front of them. There will be games played no matter what, just different games. This was hammered home when my kids constantly asked leave my inground pool to go play in the neighbor's above ground pool. 20 mins later they wanted to do the swim-y games again. Lol.
So hard to know what we use it for. I keep saying volleyball/basketball but who knows we have never had a pool. I just don’t want to regret not having a deeper area for the kids.

All depends if you think your kids will swim in deep end. Our kids love to dive down and a diving board. I would not want a pool without a deep end. That being said tons of folks like those sports pools. All depends on your usage.
Thank you: how deep is your deep end. We will not have a diving board and can do up to 8 feet. We are getting a volleyball net and basketball hoop. How long is your pool? What slopes do you have?

If you're constrained by 8', it'll have to do. Diving minimum depth recommendations/requirements vary.

48'

No

Yes
Ours is 36 feet! I wish we had more space. Maybe 3.5, 5, 4 is the way to go. They stated the walls are 3.5 so we are limited to starting at the depth. But sure it would make sense to have it go 3.5, 4, 5, 4? Probably not enough space really

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have to start at 3.5 feet.
If that's a constraint, I'd recommend getting from 3.5' to 4' as quickly as feasible.

If we do a sports pool we will do 5 feet depth vs 5.5 per everyone’s feedback.
I think that's a great plan.

Where are you in WI?

We are finalizing pool plans and curious people thoughts on pool depth. Considering 3.5 feet, 5.5, 4 sports pool for volleyball. Or longer shallow area to 6 feet deep end.

How long does the shallow area need to be for volleyball. I have three kids 3-13. Anyone regret sports bottom?
We did a 12x24 cove flat bottom that is about 4 feet deep all the way across. It’s great because you can be anywhere in the pool without treading water and the whole thing can be used for sports.

We did not want a diving board so we opted for no deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.