Spillway Tile Came Off

CB_Pool

Oct 19, 2020
League City, TX
Yesterday a section of spillway tile came off when kids were playing in the area. I will be getting someone who knows what they're doing (hopefully) to repair it, but until then, I'm wondering if I need to cover it with tape and plastic to try to limit water from getting in the opening? I normally only run the spillway 20 minutes twice a day to limit calcium buildup on the spillover area, and I have turned off the spillway until I get this fixed. I think this is a bigger issue than just this area because there looks to be cracks in the grout all over the place, but the good news (I guess) is that I don't think I have a gunite leak because the spa holds its water level, at least to the top of the gunite if not the tile. It's slightly lower than the edge in the morning but I always assumed that was overnight evaporation.
IMG_4482 (1).jpg

You do not need to cover the area the tile came off from.

The cracks in the grout are letting water get behind the tiles and erode the thinset which loosens the tiles and eventually they fall off.

You do not need to cover the area the tile came off from.

The cracks in the grout are letting water get behind the tiles and erode the thinset which loosens the tiles and eventually they fall off.
Thanks. Do you think my reputable repair person will suggest to try to regrout the areas that look to have cracks or would some people possibly take everything off and redo the whole thing? Which seems like overkill, fingers crossed for my wallet...

Thanks. Do you think my reputable repair person will suggest to try to regrout the areas that look to have cracks or would some people possibly take everything off and redo the whole thing? Which seems like overkill, fingers crossed for my wallet...

If the tiles are loose regrouting will not fix that.

Tap on the tiles with the handle of a screwdriver. You should hear the difference in sound between solid tiles and loose tiles.

The long term fix for loose tiles is to remove them and retile with fresh thinset and grout. The tiles will not fix themselves.

See what areas have loose tile.