Hey James, yeah it is NPT. I spoke to a saleswomen, but plan to speak to the manager to get some more concrete info. The pre cast looks promising but I’m still waiting on a spec sheet from them.

Is that from NPT?

Ask about the limestone, not the travertine.

Maybe also consider the sandstone.

Have you seen the samples in person?
Yes this is NPT. I have it seen the samples yet. Their store is pretty far from me. Once I get the other spec sheets I’ll check them out in person. Thanks again for your help James.

Reactions: JamesW
I suspect that NPT will tend to be high on price.

I would recommend that you contact a few local stoneyards and tell them exactly what you are looking for and see what they can do for you.

Even if they do not have the stone you want, they should be able to get it for you.

That would give you a good reference for price comparison vs. the NPT price.

Are you going to have a pool builder do the work or maybe a local mason?

Maybe contact a few masons to see what they would charge for the stone plus labor.

They should be able to bring out some samples for you to inspect.

Make sure that they can provide the spec sheets on all stone.

You want a hard, dense strong stone with absorption below 3% and ideally below 1%.

I’m having a local stone mason do the work. He works for a reputable pool builder in town. There are honestly very, very few that are reputable here in Austin. I’ll certainly compare pricing, but NPT seems to be one of the better stone yards in town.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
Note: I do not like travertine, so be aware that I am biased and not inclined to give travertine any recommendation.

I am not sure that the number is credible.

Ask to see the lab test results that were provided by the testing company.

What is the strength?

1701377832624.png

1701377737902.png

Note: I do not like travertine, so be aware that I am biased and not inclined to give travertine any recommendation.

I am not sure that the number is credible.

Ask to see the lab test results that were provided by the testing company.

What is the strength?

View attachment 542751

View attachment 542750
Hahah. Why don't you like travertine? I don't see the strength on there, but was going to order samples of the travertine and marble (if you thought they were good). Thank you James!

Why don't you like travertine?
Just a personal choice.

It's subjective.

For one thing, I don't like all of the holes.

The stone seems slippery to me and it is usually too soft.

In any case, I am not sure that I believe the numbers presented.

I would want to see the full test sheet from the testing lab with the name of the lab so that you can confirm the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a personal choice.

It's subjective.

For one thing, I don't like all of the holes.

The stone seems slippery to me and it is usually too soft.

In any case, I am not sure that I believe the numbers presented.

I would want to see the full test sheet from the testing lab with the name of the lab so that you can confirm the results.
Will do buddy. Thanks again. Would prefer a local company to be honest so still looking. NPT has been slow to get this data from.

Reactions: JamesW
Hi @JamesW every quarry I speak to suggests travertine (even if they don’t sell travertine). But I found this blue lueders limestone, which is what I have now so would be easier to replace just affected stones. Did I send you this yet? Looks like it meets many of the qualifications of a type III stone per your recommendations:

Attachments

• Blue Lueder Limestone.pdf
    638.3 KB · Views: 6
How bad was the spalling before you went to SWG? I have limestone lueder on my pool now (installed in July 22). I have efflorescence during the winter, but no spalling. I'm trying to convince the wife to go to SWG, but might settle on a Stenner setup for LC.

How bad was the spalling before you went to SWG? I have limestone lueder on my pool now (installed in July 22). I have efflorescence during the winter, but no spalling. I'm trying to convince the wife to go to SWG, but might settle on a Stenner setup for LC.
Hey we live pretty close to each other! Who built your pool and what stone quarry did they use? Sounds like your leuders is better quality than mine.

About 6 months after the build my leuders began to spall. It was not sealed until after I noticed the spalling. Sealing did not help it. I used the stone tech salt water pool sealer and sanding with diamond sander. About 3 coats.

It was bad before switching to salt, but the salt seems to have made it worse potentially. I’ve done a lot of research on here and leuders seems to have issues.

I'm not sure on the stone quarry. It was built by Just Great Pools.

I haven't sealed any of it. It doesn't look much different from when it was installed last year.
Wow you lucked out. Have you contacted Just Great Pools to get their opinion on the SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.