Spa Suction leak - need advice (photos and videos included)

StcTX

Oct 24, 2023
San Antonio
Trying to trouble shoot this and could use some help. We have a pool with a hot tub spillover when the pump is in Pool Mode. The water goes into the hot tub and circulates into the pool. When we go into spa mode (handled by remote and actuators that turn valves), the hot tub stops spilling over into the pool, and the water is circulated only in the hot tub.

Recently, the Raypak was giving a “Water Sw Open” error. When I was in spa mode, the pump emptied and it was sucking air. I cleaned and recharged the DE filter, and changed/lubed the o rings on suction side valve. Now, the water flow is totally fine and the Water Sw error is fixed, but ONLY when in pool mode. When I move the valve over to spa mode, the pump empties and starts sucking air, and the heater gives me the Water Sw Open error again and cuts off.

If I switch the valve back to pool mode (closing spa suction), the pump fills and the heater gets enough flow to stop the Water Sw error. The valves on the Skimmer and the Cleaner/Main are open half-way to about 10:00. (Are these valve settings correct?)

But, when I switch the valve back to the spa mode (close the skimmer and cleaner/main side, and open the spa suction) the pump empties again and the heater cuts out.

So, I believe I was able to isolate the issue to the Spa Suction side just by how the valves fill/empty the pump, but I don’t see or hear any leaks. I’ve tried the dish soap method, and the water hose method. And I’m not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Photos and videos included to better illustrate my issue. Happy to provide more info or photos pictures as requested. ( The pool valve normally has an actuator on it that mimics this - but I’ve removed it while I was trouble shooting. )

Thank you!

Pump Map.jpg

Attachments

• Pump Map.jpg
    Pump Map.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 5
I'm no expert, but that sounds like more of a blockage than an air leak to me.

So, that was quite helpful. I ran a hose bladder through the pump and closed off the other valves. A lot of sediment came up through the spa drain. The pool was resurfaced a while back (~a year), but it had been running completely fine so it never even crossed my mind it was a blockage.

I think there may still be an air leakage somewhere along the line in the chain, because i'm still getting some air bubbles in the pump basket on both spa and pool mode. I'll keep inspecting and come back with more info to try and solve that one.

Appreciate your help.

Reactions: Nonyabiz