Spa spillway tile detail

Schneida

May 10, 2023
Houston
Our pool design has a spa spillway with a continuous flow over. We wanted to run the waterline tile up onto the spillway in a running bond pattern. The waterline tile is 6”x24” and the tile sub is wanting to do this kind of edge detail, the two squared edges with the top piece overlapping the side piece of tile. I was hoping it would be a mitered edge which they are doing on the vertical corner. Can they truly not cut the 24” long edge of the tile at a 45 to do a mitered edge? Attaching a few pictures, hope this makes sense.

We are getting so close to being done!

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    685 KB · Views: 68
Maybe @AQUA~HOLICS knows if it is possible to make that cut.

Cutting tile is much more difficult then wood. My guess is the tile may chip during the cut with a fine edge. It may require a special setup to grind the edge.

Reactions: Schneida
which they are doing on the vertical corner.
They sure did a GREAT job with that corner!!!! They do have some skills to pull that off. I would ask them why they are wanting to do the overflow as an over placement instead of the miter cut. They might have a good reason. It might not be they CAN'T but don't want to for some reason they have not shared with you.

The tile cuts are possible.
Keep in mind that exposed grout over an area that has continuous water running over it will be prone to deterioration. Grout in spillways are typically the first areas to so show signs of degrading in all the tile work of a swimming pool. This may be what your installer is trying to avoid for you in the future by overlapping the joints as in the first picture.
Water spills cleaner off the edge of a tile than off the edge of a grout joint.

Had the same question this week on a non raised spa re tile this past week where 2 tiles across the top would have left the tile edge flush to the wall and the vertical tile would need to come up to be the corner. I said that's flat out wrong. I said I want 3 tiles on top so that the edges go past the vertical to finish the wall but there also a auto cover which will get worn and torn due to the sharp tile corner rubbing upon open and close. We ended up 45'ing with grout sort of round-ish via help with grout. Sometimes there aren't choices.

Thank you all for your responses! I let them do as they wanted and they didn’t do the mitered edge. But here was the result. Would you accept this tile work? In direct sun it looks like they didn’t use a level. In the shade it’s not as noticeable. Not sure how it will perform with water running over it, if it will run smooth over this? Interested in any thoughts and if I should tell PB I want them to redo this.

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpeg
    IMG_2771.jpeg
    815.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    740.3 KB · Views: 43
Granted, my spillway tiles are only 1 sq.in. And are glass tiles but during my recent resurfacing, the tile guys set my spillway tile in that same way and I prefer it to the way my previous tile was, which had a bunch of grout on all those edges that had totally worn away. At least this way the glass tile will not wear away.
IMG_7733.jpegIMG_7737.jpeg

Before:
IMG_6366.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.