Spa Mode - water level in spa goes down

oscarsm8

May 7, 2024
Corona, CA
Hello,

I have a relatively recent pool build with an aboveground spa that spills into the in-ground pool. When in spa mode, any water that leaves the spa via splashing or volume displacement of people getting into the spa does not seem to get refilled and level in spa drops. In order for me to refill the spa, I end up having to go into pool mode and then go back to spa mode once full.

Is it normal to have to switch to pool mode to refill spa or are there some valve adjustments I can make to have the spa level top off automatically even if it means some water goes into the pool via the spillways? The first photo shows the valve positions in pool mode. The second photo shows the valve positions in spa mode.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9649.jpeg
    IMG_9649.jpeg
    689.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9647.jpeg
    IMG_9647.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 4
The only way the spa would fill up is if the intake is set for pool and return set for spa. I don’t think the feature you described is implemented in any automation(while in spa mode in the intake actuator would switch to pool). Depending on automation you could enable a spillway feature that is bound to the return actuator for fast filling in pool mode if one does not exist. Please update signature.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a relatively recent pool build with an aboveground spa that spills into the in-ground pool. When in spa mode, any water that leaves the spa via splashing or volume displacement of people getting into the spa does not seem to get refilled and level in spa drops. In order for me to refill the spa, I end up having to go into pool mode and then go back to spa mode once full.

Is it normal to have to switch to pool mode to refill spa or are there some valve adjustments I can make to have the spa level top off automatically even if it means some water goes into the pool via the spillways? The first photo shows the valve positions in pool mode. The second photo shows the valve positions in spa mode.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Your spa is acting the way a pool/spa combo works. Bigger question is why is there so much splash out that the level goes down? Sounds more like the return valve does not shut the pool port completely off. Even a very slightly opening will allow the spa to "drain" while in spa mode.