Spa losing water when pump shut off

Justadba

Mar 28, 2020
McKinney Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
All was good until I had to have 23 feet of crack repaired in the pool. Drained, repaired, total replaster and filled. After filling found I had developed a leak around the skimmer where plastic meets tile. Used pool patch to ‘fix’ that. However, aflyer plaster and fill, my spa level will drop overnight. I’ve used dye to look for a leak around the drains, jets and spillways. Finding none, I bought and replaced the Jandy check valve ( just the flapper, not the whole valve). Had issue several years ago and flapper replacement was the fix. Still drawing down overnight. Level drops to the same level as the pool water.

Any ideas from the “august” group?

Thanks in advance

Just,

When a raised spa drains down, when the pump is off, it is almost always the check valve in the spa return line.

Did you use the same brand of check valve "guts' as the check valve itself?? They are not interchangeable..

Show us several pics of your equipment pad and we might be able to give you some better advice..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You could try manually setting the return diverter to the "spa off" position one night while the pump is off. If the spa doesn't drain, it's definitely the check valve.

If it does, then the next suspect is the automatically controlled diverter that handles the drains. It could be leaking when set in the "spa drain off" position. These can normally be rebuilt.

The last possibility is a bad leak.

nb: I've had problems with non-OEM check valve flappers.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.