Spa help Please

May 22, 2016
Gibsonville NC
ok I have a stand alone Jacuzzi J235. It's about 365 gallons. It has been sitting on a economic cycle for about a year and a half untouched. Temp was at 102. So I have drained it and ran 2cycles of Ahhsome through it. The last fill was from my pool water which is in balance with liquid chlorine. This was late last night. This am spa was crystal clear. Got up to temp and checked numbers.
FC was 3.5 last night today did not register
ph7.6
TA 50
ch 175
cya 20.

Added 3 oz of chlorine and turn on all jets. Ahhsome still in system and produced a little foam with ring after foam settled. I assume I will need to drain and refill???
i have a brand new filter and a new jacuzzi brand n2 mineral stick. A new bottle of gentle spa and a bottle of ez spa total care. Not sure of any of it or if needed. Any advice is greatly appreciated

My advice is to focus on three things; Chlorine levels, PH levels, and CYA levels.

It is not necessary to worry about anything else.

Best is to have the proper testing equipment at your house.

Chlorine;
TFTestkits.net
PH:
TFTestkits.net
CYA;
TFTestkits.net

Consult the CTY/Chlorine chart to determine how much Chlorine to maintain in the water;
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Maintain Chlorine levels above the minimum at all times.
Test for PH frequently. If Chlorine levels are higher than 10ppp, PH test results are invalid.
Test for CYA levels monthly until you are able to predict what the test will say. Then less frequent testing is fine.

That is about it other than using ahh-some, and you already are doing that.

Note; I like CYA levels higher than the often repeated 30ppm recommended here. There is not a problem as long as you follow the ratio in the CYA chart. I've been successful with CYA as high as 120ppm.

TFP recommends levels no higher than 80 however because higher than that tends to interfere with the PH test. That is good advice in my experience.

Keeping your filter clean is important in maintaining good water quality.

mineral sticks, ez-whatever, and gentle-whatever can all go in the garbage can.

Thanks for the info... yeah I have been using the tf 100 kit for my pool. I did the Ahhsome on a cold water refill, twice, now water up to temp and chlorine at 6 it's produce a little foam with the residue ring after the jets turn off... is the best thing to do drain and refill or is this normal and chlorine and filter clean it up?

you can use a pool net and scoop out the foam, and the scummy bubbles with it.

This is assuming that you have drained out the water first after using the ahh-some like you said.

We Scoop out foam for about 10 minutes about every 10 days or so anyway to make the foam go away. Doing this improves water clarity noticeably for us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I'm waving the white flag!!! I have drained and refilled again and still have foam from Ahhsome I assume. Been in slam for over 24 hours and still going from 12 to 4 or 5 in a couple hours for chlorine. Chloramine 1.0. Ph is off the scale I assume from chlorine... do I just keep in slam???

Still got foam after 4th refill after Ahhsome. Been in slam since Sunday. Bumped chlorine up to 18 last night today at lunch it was 8.5 and was chloramine 1.0. This does have the clearray
Hi Yeln4lks: I am not sure why you are still getting foam after the 3 or 4 rinses you have performed. Ahh-Some is a surfactant base so you will get some foaming especially when the air venturis are opened along with the jets. However, if the spa is drained and rinsed thoroughly there should be very little foaming due to Ahh-Some. Did you place your filter(s) in the hot tub proper when you did the bio-purge? You want to thoroughly rinse the filter(s) to remove deeply embedded organic matter and any diluted Ahh-Some. Also, be sure to NOT OVERDOSE the Ahh-Some when you perform a plumbing colonoscopy. More is NOT better or more effective. You should use 3/4 of a level teaspoon of Ahh-Some gel for each 100 gallons of water in your hot tub. Jetted bathtubs only need 1/2 level teaspoon per cleaning. I recommend that you simply refill the tub, balance the water and remove any foam with a paper towel or any other means to eliminate it. There may be other reasons for the foaming unrelated to the Ahh-Some but I am basing my comments on your fact that you feel,it was leftover Ahh-Some causing the foaming. Incidentally, a small amount of residual Ahh-Some foaming will dissipate on it's own in time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.