Spa for a Short Term Rental

Yeah... been doing that for over 50 years now without an app. They aren't cheap, but are the best way. This is what I call "automation". No sensors, no automation.

I am talking more of a small (semi) affordable one for spas in rental units. From what I have seen, for ones that actually sense concentrations, they have reagents that need to be replenished.

I am thinking something much simpler. Something like an automatic daily dose, and then something such as for every 20 minutes that the jets run it adds an other dose. Just enough "automation" to get the tub though a rental week until somebody can come by and actually test the tub and get levels where they are perfect.

Just some sort of rudimentary app control. It alerts you whenever it adds chlorine. Allows you to trigger a manual dose, and maybe some sort of reporting (like how long the jets were on over the last week)

Its not going to be 100% accurate (it does not compensate for bather load, or for people who do not use jets, but it keeps the cost down, and it is enough to keep sanitizer in the tub for 7 days.

From what I have seen, for ones that actually sense concentrations, they have reagents that need to be replenished
They have probes that need special care and replacement every few years, but no reagents.

something much simpler.
Peristaltic pumps have a timed adjustment, but these do not compensate for usage. Inline erosion feeders on filter cycles can accomplish the same, and feed during jet use too, but then you're using tablets.

Just some sort of rudimentary app control.
There's nothing that I know of that's cheaper than a probe system, which doesn't need an app, internet, or computer/phone to operate. But I'm no electronics guy, as you know.

Just install one of those cedar hot tubs with the fire wood heater attached to it and then tell the guests to drain and refill it for each use. You can add an inflated “water use” charge to their bills which means they’ll never use it😉

Just install one of those cedar hot tubs with the fire wood heater attached to it and then tell the guests to drain and refill it for each use. You can add an inflated “water use” charge to their bills which means they’ll never use it😉
🤣 Those things are scary, yet seductively intriguing.😉 Unfortunately, unless lined, wood tubs leak like crazy when first filled, until the wood swells and seals the tongue-and-groove sides.
Spas are a must-have in some areas if you want renters, Tahoe for example, but the fact is they are a problem for everyone, owners and renters alike. If the regulations were a little different and there was no public/private loophole then nobody would have them at vacation rentals. I've worked a maintenance route in Tahoe, and it was frequently a bad scene. New water is your friend, but there they have have regulations on what you can dump regarding both sanitizers/oxydizers and ph, so you often had to treat the water before dumping. Still better than fighting it with a deadline when it's bad.

Iceland does it right - every night around 5:00 AM the hot tub on my deck drained completely. Then at around 5:00 PM (or earlier if I called the front desk) it automatically refilled with HOT geothermal water.

That would still require some sort of sanitation every so often, but it is a compete water change every day. The other thing is, spa culture, especially natural hot spring spas (i.e, no sanitation), are a big part of Icelandic culture, and they know how to keep it clean. Everybody strips naked and showers just before getting in to the hot springs. You also have to rinse your bathing suit in the shower as well.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.