Spa draining into pool with pump off

I have removed the valve. Photos below.

Photo 1: orientation of flapper is on right side as shown
IMG_9448.jpeg

Internal view of flapper.
IMG_9451.jpeg

Another view for bottom part of flapper.
IMG_9450.jpeg

View of flapper part that is on return valve side.
IMG_9449.jpeg

To my eyes, this flapper looks fine so I am not sure why it’s on the fritz. As an impatient person, I’ll be headed to the pool store now to buy this overpriced piece so that I can have piece of mind.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Peace of mind is *everything*. What good is saving $23 if you're running around like the world is on fire? :laughblue: (And. Same. :))

Wait a second. I noticed that that metal rod that is holding the flapper is mostly to the right. Could that be the issue? That it is not perfectly centered? Perhaps overtime it has shifted?

And below is a photo of it centered by me pushing it to middle
IMG_9452.jpeg

Thoughts? Or is the vote to get my act together and get a new flapper already!

Now that I’m examining it like a crime against me, I see that indeed the rod could be the culprit because its shift provides just enough space for the slightest amount of water to pass through the divet area of the flapper.
Photo 1: view of hinge area with flapper rod where it was (recreated by me). You’ll notice that the divot in the plastic panel is open enough for water to come through.
IMG_9453.jpeg

Moved the rod to cover some of the divet so it’s equally covered on both sides.
IMG_9454.jpeg

Should I put it back in and see if that was it? If yes, do I need to lube the o-ring or no? It did not appear lubed when I took it off but it was installed in 2016. Below is the lube I usually use:
IMG_9455.jpeg

The rod does not jiggle, and everything seems tight. It had just shifted over the years it seems.

Ok. Disregard. It is that rod. After I manually flipped it about 30 times I saw that the rod started coming on down little by little. Eventually exposing enough space for water passage.

Also I called Jandy customer support. Good news is that 7236 and 7056 are interchangeable.

OK I picked up the new one (original part not aftermarket). The pool store owner said I do not need to lube the O-ring, because it’s already made with silicone?

Should I just stick it on and screw it back together without lube?

Last edited:
Lubed it. New check valve installed. Ran without issue. Will update after observation.

New check valve. Note, the part number on the plastic is listed as 7236 so that must be the part number for just that. The full flapper assembly is part 7056.
IMG_9458.jpeg

Great news. Replacing the spa return check valve has resolved the spa draining issue. I’ll keep an eye on it for the next few days just in case. Thank you @Jimrahbe and @Newdude for your guidance and support. The pool and spa make me worry now and then and it’s so great that I can get help from TFP folks quickly and it always works out ok!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
'member when newKul was all 'I NeEd a PrOfEsSiOnAl !!!!' :laughblue:

PoolProKul is all 'pfffffft I YouTubed it and it's just a couple of screws' (y)

• Haha
Reactions: kul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.