Spa draining into pool when off - new check valve put in

Jim, I don't have a third Jandy valve to control the spillover separately. I'll get one of these plugs and insert it where the check valve and leave it in with the pump off overnight to see if the spa level still goes down. I'll report back once I get the plug and insert it. Thanks for your suggestions!
I just went out and watched the red flap on the check valve with pump on. Both intake and return 3 way Jandy valves are both set to pool on/spa off. The check valve flap flutters enough to indicate water running through it. Should the flap raise all the way up when it's open? Then I watched the red flap as I turned the pump off. It still flutters, not as much but I have to assume the fluttering means it's not sealed shut. It's a brand new check valve cover and flap. I see no air bubbles or anything running through the check valve. I also don't see any reduction of water through the clear plastic lid when I turn the pump off.

Jim, I don't have a third Jandy valve to control the spillover separately. I'll get one of these plugs and insert it where the check valve and leave it in with the pump off overnight to see if the spa level still goes down. I'll report back once I get the plug and insert it. Thanks for your suggestions!
Another question - when the pool is on, should the flap in the check valve open all the way to the clear top on the check valve? Mine doesn't. I can't find any photos or vids on what it should look like when in pool mode.

Vik,

In the Spa mode, with the pump running, water should force the check valve shut.

In the Pool mode, with the pump running, water should flow through the check valve. I am not sure what the flapper looks like when water is pushing the check valve open. But during this time, the spa should be spillover into the pool, so you should be able to tell how much water is flowing through the check valve.

In the Pool mode, with the pump shut off, just the slight pressure of the water in the spa, "should" force the check valve closed. This is when they tend to leak as there is not a lot of pressure to hold the flapper shut.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Vik,

In the Spa mode, with the pump running, water should force the check valve shut.

In the Pool mode, with the pump running, water should flow through the check valve. I am not sure what the flapper looks like when water is pushing the check valve open. But during this time, the spa should be spillover into the pool, so you should be able to tell how much water is flowing through the check valve.

In the Pool mode, with the pump shut off, just the slight pressure of the water in the spa, "should" force the check valve closed. This is when they tend to leak as there is not a lot of pressure to hold the flapper shut.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I'm going to check the check valve AND pipe opening to the check valve for debris tomorrow. Happy Mother's
Day to all the mothers in your life.

I'm going to check the check valve AND pipe opening to the check valve for debris tomorrow. Happy Mother's
Day to all the mothers in your life.
Hi, Jim. Yesterday I rebuilt the 3-way Jandy valve just before the pump. I also took the top off the check valve, re-lubed the flapper and sanded around the inflow pipe opening. Also sealed up a tiny leak in the suction pipe going to the Polaris pump. So, between rebuilding both 3-way Jandy valves and the check valve, sealing up the leak, I'm happy to report the spa only drained down about 3 inches last night instead of all the way to the jets like it's been doing for years now. I do have three other very small drips that need to be addressed - 1 is at the metal band going around the pool pump housing, 2nd one at the connection of the pipe going into the multi-port valve, 3rd one at the return pipe connection out of the heater. I feel fairly certain once those have been resolved, it'll be perfect. I can't thank you enough for your patience and help. Next project will be to deal with the lack of air coming out of the jets in spa mode. Fun times!!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.