Spa draining into pool when equipment is off

As Mike said above, we closed the "water feature" valve after filling up the spa and the spa did not drain at all. Which meant that the water is SOMEHOW finding its way back to the pool via the jets and through the check valve.

In case anyone is confused by this statement I just want to clarify. In the photo below, ajknoll23's spa drains when the red circled valve is in position shown. When I had him rotate that valve exactly 180 deg (i.e. closed off the Spa returns completely), thereby taking the task of the check valve 100% out of play, the spa held water. This is how we came to the determination that the "leak" is coming from the return side past the check valve.

pool%20equipment%203_zpspyp3zfnl%20with%20Circle.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Would I be correct in saying that it's not good for the spa to sit predominantly empty in the 110* heat though?

Right now, I am waking up, filling the spa, setting valves manually so it doesn't drain during the day, when I get home, I set the valves to where you suggested, so the the cleaning system and circulation happens, and then my equipment runs from 7pm to 5am.

Ugh. I def feel your concern there. I don't feel I can answer that confidently. What you are doing in the mornings is a good practice for the time being. One question I never asked you. When you moved into the house, was this ever not draining back into the pool? Or has been like this since Day 1?

Ugh. I def feel your concern there. I don't feel I can answer that confidently. What you are doing in the mornings is a good practice for the time being. One question I never asked you. When you moved into the house, was this ever not draining back into the pool? Or has been like this since Day 1?

That's a question I thought about myself as well. It's been happening since Day 1. With that said, we never noticed it when we visited the house beforehand because the sellers had the equipment running during the day, thus the spa was always filled. So they were definitely hiding this. They never even put that the spa did this on the SPDS report or anything. As you can tell, the sellers were fairly shady to say the least.

Can I talk you into getting a fully automated system that has valves that will mechanically turn according to a program you set? LOL.. Just kidding, it can get pricy, but be aware there is that option. It would involve getting a control center board installed along with the special valve caps that replace the current Jandy handles you have.

I made the following video because I wanted to discuss how to plumb turning your main drain into a return line. But in that video you can see the mechanical valves. Look at the Blue Goldline thing I point to at 0:40 sec mark. That's it. If you had that, you could program it to automatically open when pump is on and close when pump is off.

Can I talk you into getting a fully automated system that has valves that will mechanically turn according to a program you set? LOL.. Just kidding, it can get pricy, but be aware there is that option. It would involve getting a control center board installed along with the special valve caps that replace the current Jandy handles you have.

I made the following video because I wanted to discuss how to plumb turning your main drain into a return line. But in that video you can see the mechanical valves. Look at the Blue Goldline thing I point to at 0:40 sec mark. That's it. If you had that, you could program it to automatically open when pump is on and close when pump is off.

Haha. Yeah I feel a little broke as it is after buying a house. =P

That is a nifty system you got. Possibly down the line I'll install something like that. Very nice pool you have there!

Will the guy who installed the check valve not at least make another quick stop to see why what he did is not working? Hate to see someone leave a customer high and dry.

Have you heard of a company in Scottsdale called Brothers Pool Service? I have no affiliation other than following them on social media. They seem to take pride in their work and seem have a decent business going. May not hurt to give them a call...

Will the guy who installed the check valve not at least make another quick stop to see why what he did is not working? Hate to see someone leave a customer high and dry.

Have you heard of a company in Scottsdale called Brothers Pool Service? I have no affiliation other than following them on social media. They seem to take pride in their work and seem have a decent business going. May not hurt to give them a call...
Nope. The guy won't even return a call or text. Pretty messed up. And he gouged us to boot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I might have figured it out. When taking the guts of the check valve off tonight, I tried to get a picture of the flapper covering the hole.

f8c325b56d0bde752ea6d16d672a7f5b.jpg

You can see very slightly that it doesn't cover the whole thing. Either the piping/housing was cut oblong or what but this could possibly be the cause.

I'm not sure exactly what I am seeing from this pic. But if you indeed see that the flapper doesn't make a 100% seal in the down position, then that appears to be the culprit. What now? Are you going to attempt to cut the pipe and glue in a whole new housing?

ahah. OK. I see it now. Are you comfortable cutting up that PVC and gluing in new couplings and a new housing? It's going to look a little Frankensteined, but it is doable.
Personally I would go knock on the door of the guy who installed it a raise Holy ---- if he's not answering your calls. Not that I would even allow him to fix it. But one of two things would happen. I would get my money back or a very ugly scene would occur.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ahah. OK. I see it now. Are you comfortable cutting up that PVC and gluing in new couplings and a new housing? It's going to look a little Frankensteined, but it is doable.
Personally I would go knock on the door of the guy who installed it a raise Holy ---- if he's not answering your calls. Not that I would even allow him to fix it. But one of two things would happen. I would get my money back or a very ugly scene would occur.
The thing there is.... I think he was a convicted criminal lol. I Googled him and showed the mugshot of him to my gf and she said it was him. He was in jail for a couple years for a narcotics violation. I originally found him on a website called "Thumbtack", have had great instances there before. Found a TV mounting guy, Drywall guy, etc. Hesitant to push him harder haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.