Citrus Heights, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Looks like previous owner plug one spa drain. When I called him (a good family friend) and ask for a reason, he assured me there was no leak just suction was too strong having 2 drains with such a small spa (3 people). There is only one valve controlling all main drains and skimmer suction and one valve controlling return pool/spa.

Now question….is it ok if I leave it plugged? I’m wondering if pump suction can destroy pipe? I assume these 2 drains are connected underground and it shouldn’t be a problem?

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpeg
    IMG_4150.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 10
He said with both drains open he had to set return valve 50/50 (spa/pool) for not to drain spa OR suction 80/20 (skimmer/drain). You can’t control just a spa drain:/

My main concern is if the plugged drain/pipe can be damaged or suction pressure shouldn’t be that high because all drains are connected underground

Snoopy,

Sounds like total Bull Feathers to me.. There is only one pipe going back to the equipment pad. I can't see how it could make much of a difference by closing one of the drain ports.

I just don't think the previous owner had a clue, but it will not hurt anything to have one of the ports closed, except it is now a death trap.. :mrgreen: Ok, not that bad in a spa, but there are two drain ports for a reason.. Safety.. It keeps people from being trapped by the suction., or worse, having your guts sucked out your rear if you sit on the drain..

I assume that your spa spills over into the pool.. Is that correct? Show us pics of the whole spa...

If so, it should be a no brainer to adjust the valves so that everything works as it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes I’m sure that drains are connected. It is a 40y old pool:)

Here are the pics….disregard shelves on the stairs, those are to keep out that ‘goofball’ in the background 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4159.png
    IMG_4159.png
    630.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4160.png
    IMG_4160.png
    629.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4161.png
    IMG_4161.png
    561.8 KB · Views: 16

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
he assured me there was no leak just suction was too strong

But a) since the pool and spa drains/skimmers are tied together, you have LESS suction from the spa drain(s) than you would in the typical arrangement with a pool/spa suction valve, b) the two spa drains tee into one pipe, so plugging one of them isn't really decreasing the flow rate, and c) you have a variable-speed pump, so can't you just turn down the speed to lower the suction?

A/B makes sense. Guess I will just unplug it tomorrow.
C I can’t decrease speed to much because I need it for solar heating ( need 60-70gpm flow)

Snoopy,

The way this should work is that during normal operation, the Intake valve is set so that ALL the water is sucked from the pool skimmer and none from the spa.

The Return valve should be set to send 90% of the water back to the pool, and about 10% back to the spa.

This will cause the spa to overflow into the pool.

When in the Spa mode, then the Intake valve is set to suck all the water from the spa and the return valve is set to send all the water back to the spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Snoopy,

The way this should work is that during normal operation, the Intake valve is set so that ALL the water is sucked from the pool skimmer and none from the spa
If i do that, then water will be only suck from the skimmer and not a pool drain. Is this ok for circulation?

Snoopy,

There are thousands, if not millions, of pools that do not have operational main drains, and they all work just fine. I have two rent house pools that do not have working main drains and I can't tell any difference.

Obviously, you need some circulation, but circulation is not what keeps your pool sparkling clear. You keep your water clear by keeping your FC and CYA in the proper relationship.

Stuff that floats, will be removed by the skimmers. Stuff that sinks will not be removed by the main drain, so some kind of cleaner needs to be used.

Note... I find it hard to believe that your Pool drain is connected to your Spa drain... :scratch: How do you know this is true??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sn00py and mas985
Note... I find it hard to believe that your Pool drain is connected to your Spa drain... :scratch: How do you know this is true??

There are only 2 pipes for suction that go to a valve. One is for the drain and one is for the skimmer. For example, if I close skimmer and fully open drain, water level in the spa will drop immediately. As said in my previous post, I have only 2 valves, 1 for the suction side and 1 for the return.

Snoopy,

On most old pools the main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer.. I suspect that the two pipes at the intake to your pump is for your Pool skimmer and for your Spa drain, which would be the normal way to do it. The valve on the Return side would send water to either the Pool or the Spa.

I guess it is possible for your pool's main drain and your spa's main drain to be connected, but it would not make any logical sense to do that. :scratch:

Just for fun, go take your skimmer basket out, and tell me how many open pipes you have... one or two??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Snoopy,

A plugged 2nd hole normally means the main drain was run back to the equipment pad, but that would have been odd 40 years ago..

It could also mean that the main drain in your pool has been plugged.

Either way, I suggest you run with the Intake valve set to skimmer only. Except when you want to use the spa as a spa.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Sn00py

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.