Something is staining my pool, and I don't know what.

ArchaeoChick

Jul 28, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Something has been staining my tile grout and cover a greenish color over the past few weeks (see photos), and I can't figure out what the issue is. I'm hoping someone here is more knowledgeable than me and may be able to help.

My ~6K-gallon pool is technically still under construction in Austin, TX. The contractor has a few minor things to do, like replacing a couple coping stones and final inspection, before handing the project over to us. The pool was plastered w/ NPT Tahoe blue mini-pebble plaster and filled on Feb 16. All was well until a few weeks ago when I noticed that the tile grout under the waterline looked green. Then last week, the water level rose during heavy rains, and my automatic cover also stained where the water hit.

Two weeks ago, I had the water tested at Leslie Pools, and the chlorine level exceeded 15ppm. It seemed the maintenance company the contractor had hired to maintain the pool water until construction is completed overdid it with the chlorine perhaps to keep from having to come so frequently for maintenance. I found 5 chlorine tablets in the equipment container and removed them to allow the chlorine level to decrease.

This past weekend, I had the water tested again (see test sheet attachment). The only outliers were free chlorine = 7.89 ppm (still high), pH = 8.1 (possibly due to heavy rains), and copper = 0.2 ppm. I don't know where the copper is coming from, as my newer house has no copper fittings, and the maintenance guy said he has not used any copper-based chemicals. I did test out the pool heater recently just to see if it works and that I could use it; perhaps the copper came from the heater? These chemical findings were in line with my new Taylor test kit and copper testing kit I used to verify, so I think the latest Leslie Pool test is accurate. I also tested my home tap water to compare and found zero copper.

I tried scrubbing sections of the tile and cover with a nylon brush and Dawn dish soap because I figured that if I don't know what's causing the stain then Dawn will at least be a safe/gentle test, but nothing happened. Can anyone help brainstorm what is causing the staining? I feel anxious that my brand new pool is stained after so much time and money spent on the project. I intend on putting my foot down and not accepting the project until the issue is fixed by the contractor, but I'd like to understand why this is happening so I can avoid future stains like this. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG-3510.jpg
    IMG-3510.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-3511.jpg
    IMG-3511.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-3534.jpg
    IMG-3534.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Something has been staining my tile grout and cover a greenish color over the past few weeks (see photos), and I can't figure out what the issue is. I'm hoping someone here is more knowledgeable than me and may be able to help.

My ~6K-gallon pool is technically still under construction in Austin, TX. The contractor has a few minor things to do, like replacing a couple coping stones and final inspection, before handing the project over to us. The pool was plastered w/ NPT Tahoe blue mini-pebble plaster and filled on Feb 16. All was well until a few weeks ago when I noticed that the tile grout under the waterline looked green. Then last week, the water level rose during heavy rains, and my automatic cover also stained where the water hit.

Two weeks ago, I had the water tested at Leslie Pools, and the chlorine level exceeded 15ppm. It seemed the maintenance company the contractor had hired to maintain the pool water until construction is completed overdid it with the chlorine perhaps to keep from having to come so frequently for maintenance. I found 5 chlorine tablets in the equipment container and removed them to allow the chlorine level to decrease.

This past weekend, I had the water tested again (see test sheet attachment). The only outliers were free chlorine = 7.89 ppm (still high), pH = 8.1 (possibly due to heavy rains), and copper = 0.2 ppm. I don't know where the copper is coming from, as my newer house has no copper fittings, and the maintenance guy said he has not used any copper-based chemicals. I did test out the pool heater recently just to see if it works and that I could use it; perhaps the copper came from the heater? These chemical findings were in line with my new Taylor test kit and copper testing kit I used to verify, so I think the latest Leslie Pool test is accurate. I also tested my home tap water to compare and found zero copper.

I tried scrubbing sections of the tile and cover with a nylon brush and Dawn dish soap because I figured that if I don't know what's causing the stain then Dawn will at least be a safe/gentle test, but nothing happened. Can anyone help brainstorm what is causing the staining? I feel anxious that my brand new pool is stained after so much time and money spent on the project. I intend on putting my foot down and not accepting the project until the issue is fixed by the contractor, but I'd like to understand why this is happening so I can avoid future stains like this. Thanks for the help!
If you have a Taylor test kit, use that to post results from it. No one will trust Leslie’s test results. The chlorine pucks can typically have copper in them if they have the name “blue” in them and are typically a Clorox product with that.

If you have a Taylor test kit, use that to post results from it. No one will trust Leslie’s test results. The chlorine pucks can typically have copper in them if they have the name “blue” in them and are typically a Clorox product with that.
I just used my Taylor 2005 test kit, and results are below. I'm not super confident -- the results seem to be up to how an individual thinks about colors. I had run the filter yesterday evening, so perhaps that's another reason the test kit results now differ from Leslie's this past weekend?
  • Total and free chlorine = 3 or 5 maybe? I didn't really think the water color exactly matched any of the kit colors, so I guess it's a coin toss?
  • pH = 8
  • Alkalinity = 120
  • CYA = 50ish (My husband thought the kit's black dot disappeared at 50, but I thought I could still see it.)
Copper level is between .05-.1 based on the color of my copper test kit.

I just used my Taylor 2005 test kit, and results are below. I'm not super confident -- the results seem to be up to how an individual thinks about colors. I had run the filter yesterday evening, so perhaps that's another reason the test kit results now differ from Leslie's this past weekend?
  • Total and free chlorine = 3 or 5 maybe? I didn't really think the water color exactly matched any of the kit colors, so I guess it's a coin toss?
  • pH = 8
  • Alkalinity = 120
  • CYA = 50ish (My husband thought the kit's black dot disappeared at 50, but I thought I could still see it.)
Copper level is between .05-.1 based on the color of my copper test kit.
I see. You have a different Taylor kit that TFP recommends. Those color matching tests aren’t very accurate as you can see (or not see…get it? 🤣)

You need one with the FAS-DPD test. I think there’s an extra kit you can get to make it a K2006.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Do you happen to have a container of "pH Down" (which is dry acid) laying around? If so, place some of that in a thin sock or nylon and (with gloves on) rub it on the stained tile to see if it does anything.
I don't have any pool chemicals currently. I was planning on stocking up on recommended products when the contractor finishes their work and closes out the project. I can get some pH Down and try it. If the stain isn't resolved by the pH Down, could it make the staining worse?

If you add the FAS-DPD portion to your K-2005, you have a very basic K-2006 test kit. Only downfall is the K-2005 reagent bottles may be a bit smaller, so you may run out fairly quickly. But the FAS-DPD is very important for accurate FC testing. Use that link to shop for other TF-series test kits when you are ready for a new batch. The TF-series kits are very reliable and ship fast.

Last edited:
If the stain isn't resolved by the pH Down, could it make the staining worse?
No, you're just testing a spot. For all we know it might just be organic staining, but since you mentioned you had a copper test kit I was curious. You can talk it over with your builder since you are still finishing things up. Your builder should also give you some start-up instructions. But you can discuss your stain concerns with them. Dry acid can sometimes help confirm copper, and if that doesn't work, we have some other testing methods you can try later.

I see. You have a different Taylor kit that TFP recommends. Those color matching tests aren’t very accurate as you can see (or not see…get it? 🤣)

You need one with the FAS-DPD test. I think there’s an extra kit you can get to make it a K2006.
Shoot! Well, the 2005 I ordered cost $70, so I guess I should use it up. I'll look into the FAS-DPD add-on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.