Someone tell me one reason to not get a SWG

We had a SWCG for several years - the only reason we gave it up is that the device failed, warranty expired, and we didn't have the budget for a new one. The amount of salt needed for a Salt Water Chlorine Generator is about 3,000 to 4,000 ppm, about 1/10th that of sea water. 3,000 to 4,000 is also about the same salinity as your tears, so you see, it's not very high - have a hard time believing your friend had problems with his pool furniture, etc. due to his salt pool - unless he had a sea-water salt pool (there are some of those around).

We will be adding salt to our pool in the next week to improve the "softness" of the water, even though we are using adding liquid chlorine manually for sanitation. As long as your salt concentration doesn't get much above 4500 ppm, you shouldn't have problems. One exception may be certain pool heaters - check your model/make and see if there is a warranty exclusion for SWGs.

One option you should consider is a liquid chlorine dispenser, or doser. There is one called the Liquidator, see this link: http://www.poolservicestech.com/chlorinating-systems.aspx . See also the recent topic on this forum, "Liquidator" for more information.

You still have to haul liquid chlorine and have to fill it every week or so, depending on size of pool, etc., but would avoid the day-in-day out routine of hauling/adding liquid chlorine, but it's about 1/4 the cost of SWGs.

What size and type of pool do you have?

jeeman said:
gqjeff said:
Well I am officially an SWG pool. Just hooked it up. Put chlorine at 10ppm to give me time to run the 24 hr's it says before running the cell. Just tested CYA and I am 50 so I will add 2 lbs and check again next weekend and add a little more to get it 75-80. Install very easy took 45 min and that was removing the nature2 also. So I will start dialing it in tomorrow. Salt is showing 3300 and the instant test shows 3600. I will take a glass of water and check it against my conductivity meter that is super accurate at measuring salt on my reef tank at the office.

Which brand did you get? How much did you spend? Did you install it yourself?

Jeeman

Aqua Trol.... $600 and did the install myself in 45 minutes. Just hooked the new 2 speed 1hp pump over lunch today also.

I know this is a couple of weeks old, but I thought I'd throw out a quick report on my SWG. I have the intex, which was originally on an 18' metal frame pool. We added a 15x30 pool with a 6' deep end (~12000 gallons) this summer, and I have the same intex hard plumbed in. It's working quite well, actually, and does the job making chlorine nicely.

FWIW...it's a cheaper option, and will work, with smaller pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.