Some streaks and marks starting to develop in plaster about one year after build

dailygenesis

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2022
Oklahoma City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have looked around the forum for info on this. There are many posts about streaks in plaster but most seem to be things that developed very quickly after the build. In my case, our plaster looked amazing after the build and for about the nine months (we kept pool open through the winter). It still looks really good, but I'm starting to see some streaking that looks like what some describe here. It is almost exclusively in the deep end, which makes me think it might be related to something I read which said that filling the pool too soon after fresh plaster can cause these issues. Our plaster team started the water immediately after they left so the deepest part of the pool did have water on it early. It took about 40 hours to fill the whole pool so the shallower parts rested a bit before getting water.

My main concern is whether this presents any issue other than the cosmetic effect. I certainly don't love it visually, but it's not terrible. I just want to know if this means the plaster is weaker or in other ways more susceptible to problems than it should be. I haven't been able to find any info on that yet either.

I'll include a couple of photos I took last night. The one with the long thin streaks is taken on the transition from shallow to deep end, almost like water rushing over this area over time has caused streaking. The other one is probably the most prominent spot in the deep end bowl.

When I dive down and look at this close up, these just really seem like discolorations. The surface doesn't seem any different from the rest otherwise.

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

It may be best if @AQUA~HOLICS or @1poolman1 review since this has occurred nearly 1 year after new plaster.
Top picture looks like "chatter" marks from the trowel as the plaster was finished. The curved areas across the "chatter" seem to indicate that as well. The "cream" (the smooth surface of the plaster) is actually a little harder in areas as the trowel skips. That can affect how deposits build up.

As a hand-applied material, it is impossible to get the entire area completely identical in finish.

Reactions: dailygenesis
What are these two devices?

Do they add copper?

What was the original color of the plaster?

Is the plaster turning blue, green or turquoise?

Can you pull the cartridges and show them before and after cleaning?

1689893149598.png

Do they add copper?

What was the original color of the plaster?

Is the plaster turning blue, green or turquoise?

View attachment 515655
The device on the right is a BlueHaven "SmartGuard Soft & Clear." It was installed by original pool builder. I haven't been able to find any documentation on exactly what it contains or does, so I'm not sure if it is adding copper. Here is the online product sheet for it but it basically doesn't say anything -> SmartGuard™ Soft & Clear

The tall device on the left is a tab feeder. I rarely use this as I have switched to liquid chlorine.

The plaster is white with blue flecks throughout it so it gives it a blue color. It's not so much that the plaster is turning colors but just that there are some streaks and spots developing. i would say these are a gray-ish color where they appear.

My main concern isn't so much the discoloration and cosmetic effect but whether this is an indication of anything larger that is wrong with the plaster that would compromise its life-expectancy.

Thanks!

Do they add copper?
Ok, so I finally found a little more info about what the Soft & Clear might be doing. The BlueHaven material says it uses "hydraulic harmonics" so I looked that term up and found this. I think it's highly likely that the BlueHaven product is just a private label of this "Pool Tiger" -> https://www.mpbaa.com.au/images/stories/2019/PoolTiger_PowerPoint_.pdf

If I've right and looking at that material correctly, I don't think it's introducing anything to the water. But interested in your thoughts.

The tab feeder might be backfeeding chlorine into the heater causing corrosion of the heater's copper heat exchanger.

The BlueHaven SmartGuard Soft & Clear seems to be mostly a hoax device that does nothing, but I don't really understand what it is or what it does.

I would remove both.

The plaster in the pictures looks bluish or turquoise, which usually means copper, but some plaster is made that color or close, so it can be difficult to diagnose copper.

Copper can also turn gray or black.

Try a stain ID kit.

The BlueHaven SmartGuard Soft & Clear seems to be mostly a hoax device that does nothing, but I don't really understand what it is or what it does.
Did you see my note above. I'm pretty sure this is a rebranded Pool Tiger -> Pool Tiger -- https://www.mpbaa.com.au/images/stories/2019/PoolTiger_PowerPoint_.pdf

I would remove both.
Is this something I can do myself? I'm not much of a plumber but with the unions on each end it seems pretty straightforward?

The plaster in the pictures looks bluish or turquoise, which usually means copper, but some plaster is made that color or close, so it can be difficult to diagnose copper.

Copper can also turn gray or black.
Yeah the plaster is naturally bluish/turqoise. The stained areas are more grayish.

I can. Unfortunately I cleaned them recently and did not photograph.

I will look at the stain ID kit. Is it also possible to just test the water for copper if you think that might be the culprit?

Did you see my note above. I'm pretty sure this is a rebranded Pool Tiger ->
In any case, I would remove it.
Is this something I can do myself?
Only you can decide what you can and cannot do.
Is it also possible to just test the water for copper if you think that might be the culprit?
You can have the water tested for copper and that is a good idea, but copper tests are highly unreliable, so maybe get the copper level tested at 3 different places to get more certainty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some antimicrobial cartridges are blue.

Check the cartridge part identification and look for any blue residue in the filter.

PAP100-M4-A-s-400x300.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.