Solid safety pool cover - reasonable price options someone aware of?

MaxLz

Jun 5, 2023
Hudson, Massachusetts
Hi Guys,

I finally fixed all the issues with my pool in last two season and decided to make a final big investment (hopefully for some time) to buy a solid safety pool cover. I definitely would like to have a solid and not mesh because it will allow me to keep the water almost 100% clear when I am opening it in spring. I do understand that the pump will be required to take our the water from the top of the cover but I did it for two years already and do not think it is a very big deal, simply have your pump to be connected through the smart outlet so you could just on and off that thing from your phone (yes, I am lazy lol).

Now, these covers are crazy expensive. I have a 20x40 pool and the average price for the cover set is around 2-3k. I found only one cheaper option (LINK) for 1.7k but still worried it is a bit too much. Maybe someone have some good verified stores where I can find a better price? I will handle the installation on my own.

Thank you!

Yeah...those solid covers are expensive. The installation can be tricky too.
I'm going to attach an older post where this was all discussed-

Reactions: MaxLz
Yeah...those solid covers are expensive. The installation can be tricky too.
I'm going to attach an older post where this was all discussed-
Thank you. I went through that topic and honestly do not think that $4000 is a reasonable price. At least for the standard and not custom cover.
I visited many different web sources and found a lot of good quality options under $2500 which is still a lot as to me, but because folks on that thread are sure that 4k is good price, I realized that not "my topic" at all :)

Anyway, if anyone knows of some of the good options under $2000, I would really appreciate that information.

The whole 'solid cover keeps the pool clear' thing is bunk. Yes it helps, but most of it is still up to you. If you close too soon, open too late, or run out of FC before it starts getting warm again, you can swamp it with either cover.

The only year out if 10 that I opened green, it was 70s in Jan/Feb and I didn't top off the FC mid season. That's my fault for knowing better and not acting, not the mesh cover.

Besides, the 'dense mesh' that most brands have is 99% woven (per them) and it's solid for all intents and purposes. I can't shine a flashlight through mine, although a little does somehow get through.

For a price reference, last November my dense mesh cover was a little over $3k out the door, installed by a looploc dealer. The cover was $1750, the hardware was about $350 and the install was $750. (Plus tax) It was a stock 20x40 modified for my side steps with extra padding where it rubs the patio by the stairs. It cost a little more than a stock cover but not nearly as much as a full custom job.

The name brands are usually all in the same ballpark, for comparable choices. Mesh vs Mesh, solid vs solid, etc.

There are many generic brands at intheswim, dohneys, etc that are very likely made by the big 3. YMMV if they have the full stitching or whatever that the manufacturer does for the flagship brands. They are considerably cheaper if you can install it yourself or have a handyman type person who can do it for you. A pool company likely won't install a cover they didn't sell you.

Reactions: MaxLz
The whole 'solid cover keeps the pool clear' thing is bunk.

I disagree with that.

The only year out if 10 that I opened green, it was 70s in Jan/Feb and I didn't top off the FC mid season. That's my fault for knowing better and not acting, not the mesh cover.

And with a solid cover you don't have to be there to do all that tinkering.

Yes, you can do work to overcome the deficiencies of the mesh cover. However if you ever escape to warmer climates over the winter then you would appreciate a solid cover where you do not need to touch the water chemistry once you close the pool until the next opening.

Last edited:
However if you ever escape to warmer climates over the winter then you would appreciate a solid cover where you do not need to touch the water chemistry once you close the pool until the next opening.
I only needed to touch it that one year of 10, It was a fluke. I have never once added FC over the winter.

When TFP protocol is followed, either cover does great. The solid cover doesn't absolve the non TFPers of all their improper water chemistry. It may help a little but it's not performing the miracles it gets credit for.

The solid cover doesn't absolve the non TFPers of all their improper water chemistry.

There should not be a reason to touch the water chemistry in a closed pool.

Nowhere does TFP advocate for testing or adjusting water chemistry in a closed pool. Let's not start an OWT now.

It may help a little but it's not performing the miracles it gets credit for.

Every little bit helps to keep algae out of pool water.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.