SolarTouch gone haywire

SeaCorey

In The Industry
Aug 6, 2014
Tampa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
The 3-way actuator has been turning the valve the wrong way - down, across the inlet port, rather than up and opposite the inlet port.
It also stops at almost 45* angles, blocking some of the inlet.
I've turned off the breaker to reset it several times, it'll work properly for awhile then I see it turning the all the way around like Linda Blair's head in the Exorcist. It could easily block the water coming in and damage the pump, plumbing, and/or filter housing.
Anyone else have the issue? Or suggestions?
Thanks!

Flip the toggle switch on the actuator the other way.

Check the internal cams for the stop points.

What model actuator do you have?

Thx for the reply Allen, I've been flipping the switch plenty, that's how I've been able to keep using it - I get it spinning until it's where I want it and put the toggle in the middle so it doesn't move.
Actuator P/N 263045, S/N 1245045170070A
Haven't taken it apart yet, I emailed Pentair customer service a week ago, crickets. I'll try calling during business hours, either way I see me getting in there sometime this week unless there's some sort of rest function beyond power cycling.

Last edited:
Great link, looks like the info I need should be right there.
Doubt it's under warranty, I've had it for at least 4 years.
I'll take it apart and hopefully just find switches that need replacing.
Thanks again.

If it is not under warranty don't waste your time calling Pentair.

Understood, I won't.
Just ordered 6 switches - I can't let myself spend more on shipping than the actual products I'm buying..., but not complaining about $8 to UPS to have them here by Wednesday.

Just ordered 6 switches - I can't let myself spend more on shipping than the actual products I'm buying..., but not complaining about $8 to UPS to have them here by Wednesday.

I know. I have ordered too much of various stuff to cover the shipping.

Got the switches from Mouser today, and Pentair customer service responded on Monday, 9 days after I emailed them (to be fair that's only 5 work days assuming a 3-day July 4th weekend).
We established it's not registered and out of warranty (1 years for the actuator, 3 for the controller), then today I got this:
"I can recommend local service companies who are familiar with our equipment so they can take a look at your system. I do believe the issue here is going to lie with the valve actuator itself and it will need to be replaced."
He may be right - when I opened it up maybe a tablespoon of rusty water came out...
The motor casing has some rust and the foam band around the capacitor is wet but the electrical connections and the little circuit board at the bottom all look fine, and I've been working it manually with the toggle so I'm thinking new switches just might get me back up and running.
I'm going to let it dry out inside tonight and swap switches tomorrow, any suggestions for waterproofing the innards while it's open?
On hand I have silicone grease for o-rings, "heavy duty" silicone spray, and garage door lube spray, and I'll prob tape the housing seam once I have it back together.

Check that the O ring on the diverter shaft is not leaking and water coming up from the shat into the actuator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well looks like it's not the switches, and I did put them in. Seems that water pooled at the bottom of the housing by the toggle switch and soaked the circuit board. I used some MAF sensor cleaner and a little brass brush and cleaned it up (this is the before pic...), same symptoms, it spun randomly a couple times then just stopped.
Is that assembly available?
Don't see an o-ring at the diverter shaft at all, and I can't imagine it got away from me when I took it apart on the bench.

Attachments

• 20200709_204452.jpg
    20200709_204452.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.