Solar pool heater below pool

Jaymike84

Mar 6, 2021
Clearwater Florida
I am wanting to install solar pool heater That is below grade of my pool. My question for it is where do I install the vacuum pressure valve and what’s the best way to do it to make sure the water empties back into the pool when I close off my valves. Or is this even possible because it’s below grade of my pool. It will be installed to the right side of the picture I posted on a slight sloped hill.

Attachments

• E1A9E7F4-3E6A-48D1-9489-4A3C2D6AE4E4.jpeg
    E1A9E7F4-3E6A-48D1-9489-4A3C2D6AE4E4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
I am wanting to install solar pool heater That is below grade of my pool. My question for it is where do I install the vacuum pressure valve and what’s the best way to do it to make sure the water empties back into the pool when I close off my valves. Or is this even possible because it’s below grade of my pool. It will be installed to the right side of the picture I posted on a slight sloped hill.
No, there is no way to get the water in a solar array to flow uphill. The vacuum-relief valve still needs to be installed in the system somewhere so that the panels can be drained if there is going to be freezing temperatures. Usually in the top of the same panel that is supplied at the bottom with water from the pool. You still want to fill from the bottom of the array.
Having done two installs that way, I know it can be successfully done, just takes a bit more care to prevent freeze damage.
Also, be absolutely sure that there is a check valve in the line returning to the pool, as well as a manual shut off valve in that line (Jandy-type 2-way valve). A failure of the plumbing could result in losing a tremendous amount of water and damage to the area below the panels.

No, there is no way to get the water in a solar array to flow uphill. The vacuum-relief valve still needs to be installed in the system somewhere so that the panels can be drained if there is going to be freezing temperatures. Usually in the top of the same panel that is supplied at the bottom with water from the pool. You still want to fill from the bottom of the array.
Having done two installs that way, I know it can be successfully done, just takes a bit more care to prevent freeze damage.
Also, be absolutely sure that there is a check valve in the line returning to the pool, as well as a manual shut off valve in that line (Jandy-type 2-way valve). A failure of the plumbing could result in losing a tremendous amount of water and damage to the area below the panels.
Thank you for the help. I was told to put the vacuum relief valve at the top opposite the intake ( return line). Will that work? and definitely will make sure there is a check valve and manual shut off. Thanks for the help

Thank you for the help. I was told to put the vacuum relief valve at the top opposite the intake ( return line). Will that work? and definitely will make sure there is a check valve and manual shut off. Thanks for the help
Normally, if the array is filled from bottom-right the return to pool is top-left so that all the panels fill. That only leaves the top-right for the VRV. If filled from bottom-left the return is top right and the VRV is top-left.

Normally, if the array is filled from bottom-right the return to pool is top-left so that all the panels fill. That only leaves the top-right for the VRV. If filled from bottom-left the return is top right and the VRV is top-left.
Ok. It will be bottom right to top left back to pool. I’ve attached images of the tripe of VRV I have that needs to be piped in. Will that work?

Attachments

• A6A9CE87-0A63-417A-BD37-5711083B8039.png
    A6A9CE87-0A63-417A-BD37-5711083B8039.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 2
  • A04AF156-8E57-44ED-B556-67CB29465AF1.jpeg
    A04AF156-8E57-44ED-B556-67CB29465AF1.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 2
But that’s just as good as any of them? Because that’s the one I bought
Yes, it is a good product. They are very simple items, really.
Your picture appears to be from Florida Solar Design Group. This is what they say about them:

Reactions: Jaymike84