NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am putting in a new inground and planning to install Solar Panels. The pool is about 730ft2 so I need to plan accordingly for the roof panel placement and panels. I attached a few pictures of the sunrise and set angles in May and September along with my roof angles and orientation. I am trying to decide if roof #3 would work given its pointing WNW but gets sun mostly all day and evening. I cannot use roof #4 because running the PVC would be extremely difficult and unable to hide the 2"pvc on the house. I was thinking to run the water to roof #3 and #2 then up to roof #1 then back down for the return. Would love to hear any thoughts or other ideas people might have from experience.

Attachments

• May 1 Sun .PNG
    May 1 Sun .PNG
    78.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Sept 30 Sun Angle.PNG
    Sept 30 Sun Angle.PNG
    77.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Roof Line.PNG
    Roof Line.PNG
    304.4 KB · Views: 34
I was thinking to run the water to roof #3 and #2 then up to roof #1 then back down for the return. Would love to hear any thoughts or other ideas people might have from experience.
That would mean the panels are in series rather than parallel. I would plumb them all separately with their own supply and returns to a single point on the roof. The supply will split three ways at the lowest roof level from the pad and same with the returns. The VRV can be a little tricky. You can either have three VRVs each on the supply side of each panel which would drain faster but would require higher pressure for the higher panel VRV to remain closed. OR you can have a single VRV right before the supply split. The panels would then drain slower but less pressure is needed for that VRV and thus you can use a VS pump on a lower speed.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Do you think I would be ok with having the panels on Roof #3 given the orientation to the west? I don't have another roof option and would love any input.

Attaching a picture of the supply(blue) and return (red) that I was thinking about doing which would help answer your note above. Would this work or do you see any potential issues as they all have their own supply source?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-223820.png
    Screenshot_20220608-223820.png
    849.6 KB · Views: 24
The orientation isn't that bad. There will be some loss in efficiency. But better than not having them.

The pipe routing looks ok but I can't really tell where they are routed below the roof line.

Great - thanks.

I have pavers in the back and around the house. I'll be lifting up the pavers and running pipes underground with the two supply lines coming up at the two corners. The return will be running straight down the house with the lower roof connection then under the pavers back to the pump once the yard is dug up for the pool.

Vacuum relief valve. It is used to help drain the panels automatically after the pump shuts off. It allows air into the panels when the pump is off and seals when pump pressure is applied.

1654801210626.png

Gotcha! Those will be going at the top of each panel group. So I will be having 3 VRV which will be placed at the top opposite of the return side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gotcha! Those will be going at the top of each panel group. So I will be having 3 VRV which will be placed at the top opposite of the return side.
I am told the vrv goes on the supply side near to your bypass. Sounded counter intuitive to me as well so I put ours where the manual says (we are using solar pool supply swimjoy panels which I'm told are private label helicoil) but also plumbed/am plumbing a tee with 3/4 threaded bushing on the high side of the panels at the return.
20220601_114156.jpg

I am told the vrv goes on the supply side near to your bypass. Sounded counter intuitive to me as well so I put ours where the manual says (we are using solar pool supply swimjoy panels which I'm told are private label helicoil) but also plumbed/am plumbing a tee with 3/4 threaded bushing on the high side of the panels at the return.
That is very low for a VRV. Do you ever get any water out of it? Too low IMHO.

Also, when they are that low, there is a possibility of pipe collapse if water sits in panels while the pump is running but solar is off. Read article I posted earlier.

I would put the VRV on the supply side of each panel set as shown in the pic above. Depending on the panel design, you can also use a end cap VRV:

1654806375322.png

Interesting - I have not seen it done that way before. Have only seen them mounted vertically on the feed pipe right before the panels or the top corner above the feed pipe. This would then allow the to enter the pipe/system when draining.

Even that picture shows it much higher. Read #6 in your last pic. The instructions say 4' which is still low but not at pump level.

I am surprised you don't a lot of water out that where it is.

Thanks for all the great information. Anyone have success with Vortex panels? I read they are srill made by Thermosolis but here in NJ it's not too easy to get those panels locally.

Even that picture shows it much higher. Read #6 in your last pic. The instructions say 4' which is still low but not at pump level.

I am surprised you don't a lot of water out that where it is.
In my case the bottom of the panels are below the pool so that is the high side of the supply

Anyone see issues with my initial layout attached? My biggest concern is if I can run the return off the smaller roof into the return coming off top roof. I read that the return must be at the highest point - so that means I would then need to run the lower return back up to my top roof tie into top panel return then back down?

Has anyone run into this issue or situation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220608-223820.png
    Screenshot_20220608-223820.png
    849.6 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.