Solar Install

Unless things have changed, if you want individual panel monitoring you have to pay a couple of hundred extra for enlighten manager over the normal "my enlighten."
I can see the panel by panel output for my system which has a SolarEdge inverter. At least I can get that info on the SolarEdge website and apps. This info doesn't appear to be available via their API to put into other systems or easily download yourself.

Wow - it is amazing to think that I use 30X more electricity than you do! How has it been to live without AC this summer - I am assuming the Ottawa has been about as hot as Toronto.

What kind of batteries do you have? Do the Tesla PowerWall batteries make sense for you?

So to deal with the heat - that is where the pool comes in...lol. But yes, we have had a few warm days. Most of the year the house is very comfortable.

With regards to the powerwall...here are my thoughts;

- Tesla is making energy storage sexy to the masses, and this is a good thing
- Their 10 kWH power wall was bound to fail, and it did. They could never hope to achieve the cycles in a lithium ion that us off gridders get in our flooded lead acids. The tesla battery dies after 500 cycles, and my Rolls Surrette deep cycles are hitting 2,000 cycles right now, with another 1,000 to go
- lithium ion has huge potential. I am looking eagerly at the AGMs though :)

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

I can see the panel by panel output for my system which has a SolarEdge inverter. At least I can get that info on the SolarEdge website and apps. This info doesn't appear to be available via their API to put into other systems or easily download yourself.

It is one of Enphase's pitfalls, they charge a premium for what other manufacturers provide for free.

- - - Updated - - -

I may have... I don't have the access yet, but my buddy pulled it upon his phone and we played with it a bit when we tested the system.

Im guessing he has the installer app, I wouldn't sweat not having individual panel monitoring mostly because you have great access to your array.

- - - Updated - - -

- Tesla is making energy storage sexy to the masses, and this is a good thing...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

That is really funny, mostly because it's so true!

My average daily usage over the last month is about 78kw not sure if that's a lot or not.. and how that translates into what I need for panels.

It was 132kw, until I put in a new AC unit... then it dropped to 78k... talk about a major difference...

My average daily usage over the last month is about 78kw not sure if that's a lot or not.. and how that translates into what I need for panels.

78 kWh a day is a lot. I would suggest you start by finding ways to bring that down...energy conservation gives a greater ROI vs energy production from a PV system.

+1 on conservation, a rough guess is your array would have produced 1500ish kWh last month while your use (78x30) is more along the lines of 2400kWh. Usually in spring and fall, production outpaces usage, so if you have a net metering agreement you will be in good shape.

78 kWh a day is a lot. I would suggest you start by finding ways to bring that down...energy conservation gives a greater ROI vs energy production from a PV system.

I am not sure how I can... I leave the house at 80 all day.. drop it to 74 in eve (just made that change it was 72) and 76 over night... and then 74 in morning before I get up... All my lights are LED pretty much except a few flourescents.. I live alone.. 2000 SF House.. but it was built in 1964... so I am going to put additional insulation in the attic and get a solar fan as well.. I need to insulate my garage.. although I don't heat or cool that... all my windows are new and double pane..the last thing that I can think of is my water heater which I am going to get a Hybrid. All my appliances are brand new, fridge, washer dryer etc.. Samsung and energy efficient..

Any other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a kill-a-watt meter that I used to check out plugged in appliances. One of my big ones was an old plasma tv that used almost 300watts while it was off. That was an 8kWh reduction a day just like that. I was going to suggest a whole house fan, but with lows at night in the 80's forget that :)

That's 160% of tlevy's average consumption!

the 5kWh per day was when we first moved into our house in 2007. We had one baby, so TVs, and other loads were very well managed. At that time, I measured the net phantom load of the house, when all loads were off that could be controlled, and the fridge was not cycling, the entire house would consume about as much as a 100W light bulb.

Fast forward 9 years, and we have two kids and have expanded our system - it is probably also reasonable to assume that we have doubled our daily electricity consumption to 10kWh/d! We have also likely gotten lazier with our energy consumption...!

Cheers...Tom

I am not sure how I can... I leave the house at 80 all day.. drop it to 74 in eve (just made that change it was 72) and 76 over night... and then 74 in morning before I get up... All my lights are LED pretty much except a few flourescents.. I live alone.. 2000 SF House.. but it was built in 1964... so I am going to put additional insulation in the attic and get a solar fan as well.. I need to insulate my garage.. although I don't heat or cool that... all my windows are new and double pane..the last thing that I can think of is my water heater which I am going to get a Hybrid. All my appliances are brand new, fridge, washer dryer etc.. Samsung and energy efficient..

Any other suggestions?

Well you seem to have much of the big stuff taken care of.l, especially if you plan on upgrading water heater (electric/gas?), and improving you insulation. How do you heat your house? Do you have an A/C unit? Are you on city water or a well?

The rest of it boils down to things like TVs, PS4s, microwaves that are plugged in, computers, etc...all those phantom loads, and so on. But...it is always amazing how much it all adds up!

Well you seem to have much of the big stuff taken care of.l, especially if you plan on upgrading water heater (electric/gas?), and improving you insulation. How do you heat your house? Do you have an A/C unit? Are you on city water or a well?

The rest of it boils down to things like TVs, PS4s, microwaves that are plugged in, computers, etc...all those phantom loads, and so on. But...it is always amazing how much it all adds up!

I'm all electric in my house. Heat pump/ A/C and city water.

Its up and running now, just no net meter for a month... Here is a link to the video of my meter going backwards and giving an error code..lol.. with the A/C on!! .. Instagram

I'm producing 42.5 Kw a day right now... - does that sound efficient or expected with the system I have?

With my A/C not running, I produce more than enough power... so, I'm thinking of setting up my A/C run time for the times I make the most energy... ??

I'm producing 42.5 Kw a day right now... - does that sound efficient or expected with the system I have?

With my A/C not running, I produce more than enough power... so, I'm thinking of setting up my A/C run time for the times I make the most energy... ??

i would be inclined to use the extra energy you are producing since you don't have net metering set up yet. Meaning run your AC to cool your house way down from 10ish-5pm.

As as far as your production, PVwatts will help you ballpark how your system is performing. I am a couple of degrees of latitude north of you, but not as hot and see around 30kWh per day or 1.66 per panel. We have similar panels except I have the smaller 250w inverters (which I very rarely max out with my 2 year old 280w and newer 285w panels.)

How much are you guys able to produce per year? Here in Canada I am just completing my first year - I should be able to produce about 13MWh in a year which is a bit more than was forecast for my rated 10kW panels. But the monthly variability is very high ranging from 270kWh in Dec to 1889kWh in June.

I have 23 solar world 280s with enphase. Love it. There was a system on my house that was a leased system from old owners. They lost the house in foreclosure so we didn't have to take it over but dealing with them was a nightmare. I feel sorry for anybody that has a lease that comes due. They Burchard the roof on removal than I had to fight them to get it fixed. They even tried to force us to sign a gag order so we couldn't tell anybody our story. We didn't sign it so if your curious let me know

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.