Solar Heater not running at assigned RPM

zenkeys

Dec 15, 2023
Vallejo, CA
Hi All,

I just had a Jandy actuator for solar installed and am trying to set the RPM for the pump to panels. It is not running the assigned RPM designated in the 'VSP Setup.'

This morning it was running at max RPM of the Jandy ePump @ 3450; I lowered the maximum RPM of the pump to 3250 and the pump now reads 2750 RPM though it's set lower in settings (@2200).

The actuator is connected in the available port for solar in the iAqualink panel with temp sensor at the panels.

Any thoughts on why it's not running the assigned speed setting?

Thanks in advance!
image1.pngimage2.pngimage0.png

Last edited:
Solar heat is hard coded assigned to speed 7 regardless of what the speed label says. Speed 7 was originally labeled Solar Heat, and you have changed the label to Air blower. The pump is running 2750 rpm when the solar is active because that's what speed 7 is set to.

I suggest changing speed 7 back to Solar Heat so that it reflects what it's actually doing in the code, and move your Air Blower speed setting to speed 8, as that speed is not preassigned to any function.

And you really should extend the Filter Pump schedule to be running any time anything is running. Filter pump should be running when your cleaner is running, and also when the Spillover is active. I think you will find that the status won't show the motor RPM's if the filter pump is not running, even though the pump may run when cleaner and Spillover is active.

With the Jandy system and VSP pumps the rule is the fastest speed takes precedence. So set the filter pump speed to the slowest speed you ever want to run, and then when other functions activate they will increase the speed to the setting of the cleaner, solar, or spillway function

Reactions: zenkeys
Thank you for that lesson, MSchutzer!

The start-up tech set it up remotely but did not explain anything; I really appreciate it - and that solved the problem!

I've never checked the status while cleaner/spillover is active and the pump does show it's on but will change the schedule.

Would you recommend I run the filter pump 5:55AM-5:00PM according to the schedule that's programmed?

Yes, it makes sense to run the Filter pump in the schedule from 5:55am-5:00pm as you suggested. When you move the Air Blower to speed 8 don't forget to also update the Assign to Aux for speed 8 to Air Blower.