Solar Diverter Valve

It looks like this actuator is dead heading the filter output which is NOT GOOD!

Hard to follow where all the pipes are going from that picture.

Yeah, I think that actuator should be rotated 180 degrees to shut the heater inlet and allow water to flow up the solar pipe.

1713990524656.png

It does look like the filter is being deadheaded, but it looks like there is also a tee behind the chlorinator. If that pipe on the right heading up the wall is the solar input, then the solar valve is blocking the bypass (when in the deadheaded position) and forcing the flow up the solar feed pipe on the right. Depending on the solar system you may or may not want 100% of the flow to pass through the panels, often the flow is adjusted to give the recommended flow rate for the number of panels that you have.

Here's another picture of the plumbing. I turned the solar off until I can figure out what position the diverter valve should be in when solar is activated. Given this configuration, am I still deadheading the filter when, as in the earlier picture, the solar is activated and the closed end of the diverter valve handle is pointed towards the filter? If so, should I adjust the actuator so that the valve turns 90 degrees to the left (rather than to the right) when the solar is activated?
Thanks again.
IMG_3275.jpg

I don’t recommend ever closing the ball valves on the solar feed pipes unless you need to do service on panels or such.

With the ball valves closed you WILL dead head the filter output should the solar valve activate.

Your valve handle positions appear to be correct for your setup. When the bypass path is blocked (your first picture) water is forced up the solar feed pipe and then it returns through the return pipe on the left. The solar valve then directs the flow into the gas heater.

When off (as in your second picture) water will flow straight through the bypass. It won’t flow up the solar pipes as the bypass path will have much lower resistance to flow.

I would have put that solar valve where your tee on the solar feed pipe is, but what you have should work.

Like I said above I would never close off the ball valves to the solar pipes as that creates a possible dead head condition should your solar valve accidentally activate.

With solar on, is the three-way solar diverter valve in this picture in the correct position or should it be rotated 180 degrees so that the closed arrow is pointing towards the heater?

Thanks for your help.View attachment 567243
Installer put the valve there because it wouldn't fit under the filter's supply line. Its not ideal but works that way and that is the correct "solar on" condition for your pool, but those blue-handled valves should never be closed unless you are sure that the solar controller is "Off."

For the sake of your heater, which appears to be newer than the rest of the equipment, do not use that tablet feeder, it will cause severe damage. If you want to use tablets, put them in a floating dispenser in the pool.

One more question and sorry to be so dense, but why is the return flow from the solar panels directed to the gas heater when the heater is not being used?
Thanks again for your help.
That's the correct way to plumb a system. You don't want water heated by a pool heater going to the panels. They are actually heat exchangers and will cause that water to cool if they were the last item in the flow. The panels would act as radiators instead of collectors in that case.
A heater-bypass could be easily plumbed in if wanted, but not necessary.