Solar cover thickness and sellers

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
Does anyone have any advice for the thickness on a solar cover? I need a cover that something in the 20’ x 44’ range to cover the entire pool in one piece and I’m wondering which thickness I should go for. Obviously the 16 mil thickness will be more durable, and last longer than the 12 mil thickness, but I’m concerned about the extra weight. (when pulling it on and off early in the season, and rolling it up and storing it over the winter.)

Does anyone have any good suppliers for solar covers? I’d love to hear some recommendations rather than just using the Google.

Thanks!

Obviously the 16 mil thickness will be more durable,
I had a 20x40 16 mil liner. By itself, it was heavy. Coming off the pool wet ? Pfffffft. Even the $500 beefy reel struggled.

And regardless of the thicker material, the bubbles are the same on them all and flimsy. That's the typical fail point.

If the thicker covers last longer, the cost to upgrade is probably a wash. You can still rip/tear the thicker ones, and you'll be more upset about it. Lol. We usually reccomend going as cheap as possible and to consider them disposable.

Hang tight, someone will have a good current supplier. :)

Here's my most recent recent input. It's a 12 mil cover. No reason to further clutter up the interweb with more repetition...

I bought my most recent cover at Poolsupplies.com

I tested code LBD23B22 and it's good for $20 off. They charge no shipping, but sneak in a $10.95 "handling" fee.

Reactions: Newdude
Here's my most recent recent input. It's a 12 mil cover. No reason to further clutter up the interweb with more repetition...

I bought my most recent cover at Poolsupplies.com

I tested code LBD23B22 and it's good for $20 off. They charge no shipping, but sneak in a $10.95 "handling" fee.
I do NOT reccommend Poolsupplies.com for a cover. I have owned 3 covers from different suppliers in my 10 years. The clear Poolsupplies.com cover was the worst. It degraded the fastest and forget about their warranty. Contacting them is a fruitless waste of time.

This was also my only clear cover. Not sure if the color makes a difference, but clear was a bad choice. No hear difference, uglier...

Reactions: Newdude
I do NOT reccommend Poolsupplies.com for a cover. I have owned 3 covers from different suppliers in my 10 years. The clear Poolsupplies.com cover was the worst. It degraded the fastest and forget about their warranty. Contacting them is a fruitless waste of time.

This was also my only clear cover. Not sure if the color makes a difference, but clear was a bad choice. No hear difference, uglier...
Just to be fair, the cover is warrantied through Sun2Solar and not poolsupplies.com. I received fast service from the vendor. I'm on my third year with this cover and it's starting to fall apart. I'm not even gonna try to get warranty coverage.

I'm searching for a PoolStyle 10 mil cover which made it through 4-5 full seasons before it started to come apart. It had much more durable feel than the Sun2Solar cover despite being thinner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.